Web based light pollution

Old April 24th 04, 02:05 PM
Jo

Default Web based light pollution

Received this email today....I've posted it here without any comments...
This is a website where you can set up light displays using 22 web
controlled searchlights in central Dublin (along O'Connell Street for
those that know the city). It is running for 2 weeks to celebrate the
expansion of the EU to 25 countries.

The lights started last night and looked good even at a distance of 10
miles from the center. Bear in mind that you need darkness to see the
lights! We are 5 hours ahead of the East Coast, USA.

The URL is http://www.alzado.net/. Have fun
Jo

Old April 24th 04, 03:29 PM
Albert White

Hi,

Jo wrote:
This is a website where you can set up light displays using 22 web
controlled searchlights in central Dublin (along O'Connell Street for
those that know the city). It is running for 2 weeks to celebrate the
expansion of the EU to 25 countries.

There has been some discussion of this in the Irish FAS discussion group
http://www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=20

Thankfully it is only for a couple of weeks, but even so letters of
protest are being sent into the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism
who are promoting and paying for this.

The reflections on the clouds can bee seen from further than 10 miles away.

Some realtime images at http://www.ireland.com/focus/elevate/ and
http://www.alzado.net in case you want to see what 154,000 W of light
looks like.

Cheers,
~Al
--
Irish Light Pollution Awareness Campaign
www.irishastronomy.org/ilpac
Old April 24th 04, 10:32 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Albert White" wrote in message

Thankfully it is only for a couple of weeks, but even so letters of
protest are being sent into the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism
who are promoting and paying for this.

The reflections on the clouds can bee seen from further than 10 miles

away.

Some realtime images at http://www.ireland.com/focus/elevate/ and
http://www.alzado.net in case you want to see what 154,000 W of light
looks like.

I see this chap has made a career out of creating light pollution :-(

http://www4.alzado.net/edprevious.html

Robin

Old April 25th 04, 12:06 AM
Albert White

Hi,

The reflections on the clouds can bee seen from further than 10 miles away.

And in case you don't believe me, this image is from about 10 miles away:
http://www.irishastronomy.org/ilpac/.../dublights.jpg

Cheers,
~Al
Old April 25th 04, 10:29 PM
Chef!

Ahhh. Isn't that nice - he's kindly put his contact details on the web

Far be it for me to suggest that we mail him all the UK light pollution
..pdf's.

URL and contact

http://www.lozano-hemmer.com

Studio in Spain:
Ana Parga
Hortaleza 100, 1-D.
Madrid 28004 Spain
Tel 3491-319-8769

Studio in Canada:
Jennifer Laughlin
3958 Av du Parc-Lafontaine 1
Montréal, Québec
H2L 3M7 Canada
Tel. 1-514-597-0917

Gallery in USA:
bitforms gallery
529 West 20th Street
NY, NY 10011

www.bitforms.com
Tel. 212 366 6939

Gallery in Mexico:
OMR Gallery
Plaza Río de Janeiro # 54
Colonia Roma
Mexico City 06700 Mexico

www.galeriaomr.com
Tel. (5255) 5511-1179 and (5255) 5207-1080
Fax (5255) 5533-4244

Regards
Chef!

Old April 25th 04, 11:54 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Albert White
writes
Hi,

Jo wrote:
This is a website where you can set up light displays using 22 web
controlled searchlights in central Dublin (along O'Connell Street for
those that know the city). It is running for 2 weeks to celebrate the
expansion of the EU to 25 countries.

There has been some discussion of this in the Irish FAS discussion group
http://www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=20

Thankfully it is only for a couple of weeks, but even so letters of
protest are being sent into the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism
who are promoting and paying for this.

Actually it's the Irish taxpayer who is paying for it.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!