Would you make this scope trade?

Old July 11th 03, 03:07 AM
GoldfishPanda

Default Would you make this scope trade?

I wanted someone else's opinion on this. Probably, everyone in this
newsgroup has seen my post to trade my StarMax 127 for an Orion 120mm
refractor by now (I posted it about a week ago). I only wanted to trade the
scope, not the mount.

Well, someone e-mailed me today with the following offer:

-- "Would you consider a 150mm Celestron f/8.3 refractor? Includes tube
rings, 2" diagonal, finder."--

When I wrote back for more info, I was told about the condition of the
telescope and a few other facts. I know that this scope is too heavy for my
EQ3 mount. And when I said so to him, he stated that he might be willing to
work out something for an extra EQ5 mount he has.

I did some reasearch on this scope online today, and read some reviews. Over
all, it seems to be pretty good. Before I got this message, however, I was
having second thoughts about whether or not to trade my StarMax 127mm.

What would some people here do?

Old July 11th 03, 03:56 AM
Rich McMahon

Why do you want to trade in the first place.. The starmax does not
suffer from chromatic abberation to speak of. Its portable and does a
good job with a fairly modest mount and tripod.

The 6" celestron will gather more light. It may or may not be sharper.
It will give you a brighter image. So will a 6" F8 or an 8" f/6
newtonian.

To get to the point even with the CG5 mount your talking about you
will need a much more substantial tripod than what comes with the
CG-5.

The stock celestron setup using the cg5 and the 6" refractor was an
exercise in frustration without upgrading the tripod. Some people
found the need to upgrade the mount too. For me the mount is ok with a
good tripod.

So bottom line you will have to throw money at the 6" refractor to
make it really usable. Myself Id keep the Starmax and look for a
larger newtonian say and 8" F6.

best of luck

Rich

Old July 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Al

"GoldfishPanda" wrote in message
[...]

If you did make the trade, (which would cost you more money since the mount
you already own will not handle the 150) you only stand to gain 1 additional
inch in aperture. Moreover, you would need additional equipment for the
much heavier 150mm, such as a taller and more steady tripod, a tripod
bracing device, a storage case for the OTA and maybe an MV filter to deal
with some of that false color. You will be spending all this money for only
one inch...not worth it in my book! Wait until you can move to something
with 8" of aperture.

Al

Old July 11th 03, 12:32 PM
GoldfishPanda

Well, the reason I was going to trade was because I am tired of the cool
down time of my StarMax - I live in an apartment, and I have no place to
keep the scope outside without worrying about theft. I keep having to pop my
head outside every 5 minutes to make sure it is there. And, I now have a new
neighbor who likes to steal things..

That is why I was asking for opinions. But, I hear ya. I am leaning towards
not doing it...

et...

Old July 11th 03, 07:10 PM
Eddie Kirkland

I know what you mean about the cooldown time on the Mak; I had a 6" Intes
Mak-Cassand the cooldown timer was what lead me to sell it and buy a used
TV102 apo. I can tell very little difference in views between the two, but
the TV102 is ready to observe in minutes. I also had a 120 f/8.3 Skywatcher
refractor (same as the Orion) and while it worked ok the CG5 is still too
shaky without upgrading to wooden tripod legs. I was pretty well pleased
with the 120 but the "purple haze" was annoying. So, if your set on a
refractor, I'd get the 120 if the color doesn't bother you. The 6"
refractor in my opinion is too heavy for the CG5.

Eddie

Old July 12th 03, 04:36 PM
Herm

I would do the trade just for the fun of a new toy, but the 6" refractor
does not seem to be well suited to your needs.. yes it may cool down faster
but its a big scope to set up for quicklooks.. and as many people have said
you would have to modify the EQ5 to hold it steadily.

I say go for it if you dont mind the extra setup hassle, modify the eq5
with one-piece aluminum square channel legs about 5 feet long.. that and
maybe some vibration absorbing pads would work well. You can also make the
legs out of wood, probably would work better than aluminum.

A permanent pier set in concrete would be really good if you can manage it,
and cheap too.

Astropics http://home.att.net/~hermperez