Venus visible in daylight

Old October 8th 07, 09:44 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
MichaelJP

Default Venus visible in daylight

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
news
"MichaelJP" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
It is hardly news to those who read uk.sci.astronomy, but this morning
the sky is unusually clear and blue, so I went out just before sunrise
and marked a position where Venus was lined up with a chimney, then
looked again 40 minutes later. Venus is easy to see in a clear blue sky
as long as you know approximately where to look. Clearly visible and
bright, at 0740, well after sunrise this morning 5 October. Just looked
again at 0750, still there despite having the Sun shining directly on
me.

Earlier, I went out and saw an impressive line-up of planets and waning
crescent Moon, with bright and very orange Mars high up near Castor and
Pollux, brilliant Venus, and fainter Saturn. Predictions suggest we are
in for a few clear days and nights, so grab 'em.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

I was looking for Andromeda (the galaxy) last night through 10x50
binoculars.

I could definitely see it but it was very faint, would I need to use a
telescope to discern the disk structure or just dark skies?

You would need to take a long exposure (3-4 mins) with a CCD using a
telescope of at least 6-inches aperture. You would need to have a larger
format CCD to take in enough galaxy to see the spiral arms, or a focal
reducer, or both.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

OK, thanks for the tips.

Looks like it was pretty futile trying to see the disk with the binoculars
then!

Old October 8th 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark Ayliffe

On or about 2007-10-05,
Pete Lawrence illuminated us with:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:35:49 +0100, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:

You would need to take a long exposure (3-4 mins) with a CCD using a
telescope of at least 6-inches aperture. You would need to have a larger
format CCD to take in enough galaxy to see the spiral arms, or a focal
reducer, or both.

You can get it nicely with smaller refractors Mike. A ZS66 or ED80
(80mm) fitted with a focal reducer will record the core plus the
brighter spiral arms with a DSLR or CCD camera in a couple of minutes.

A 3 minute exposure with a 76mm f/4 scope
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/200..._IMG_9925b.jpg

A stacked result using an 80mm ED80 refractor and focal reducer
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/M31-2006.html

A hybrid result using data from both scopes...
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/200...ybrid_1024.jpg

Wow! I think the evidence Pete is that _you_ can get it with that
equipment, but I'd not be so sure that _anyone_ can! Amazing

By the way, how come the first one says "unguided" on it? Surely a 3
minute exposure has to be using a telescope with some sort of drive,
so what does "unguided" mean in this context?

--
Mark
Real email address | Love is real if you and the other person stick together
Old October 8th 07, 07:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:39:35 GMT, Mark Ayliffe wrote:

A 3 minute exposure with a 76mm f/4 scope
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/200..._IMG_9925b.jpg

A stacked result using an 80mm ED80 refractor and focal reducer
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/M31-2006.html

A hybrid result using data from both scopes...
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/200...ybrid_1024.jpg

Wow! I think the evidence Pete is that _you_ can get it with that
equipment, but I'd not be so sure that _anyone_ can! Amazing

Strangely I'd be sure that if I can get it then anyone can!

By the way, how come the first one says "unguided" on it? Surely a 3
minute exposure has to be using a telescope with some sort of drive,
so what does "unguided" mean in this context?

Unguided means that the shots were not auto-guided. It's a bit of a
confusing term but that's what it means. However, they were
equatorially driven at the sidereal rate of couse otherwise the stars
would have trail.
Old October 9th 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
m...

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
news
"MichaelJP" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You would be able to see the inner region around the nucleus as a fuzzy
elongated blob, brighter at the centre and fading out. Features further out
would be too faint to see this way. With binoculars I doubt that you could
see the dust lanes or spiral arms, which is what I took you to mean by
"seeing the disk". (Maybe you could just manage to do this with very large
binoculars in a very dark site.)

Old October 9th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
MichaelJP

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
m...

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
news
"MichaelJP" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It was resolvable as a fuzzy blob, but not really elongated in any
direction. It was at my semi-urban location though so next clear night I'm
going to drive out to the peaks where its much darker and see if I can see
any more.

Must admit I'm far more interested in objects I can see directly through the
binoculars or my 6" reflector than any CCD stuff. That is no doubt
fascinating but a whole hobby in itself!

Old October 12th 07, 11:25 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:

I was looking for Andromeda (the galaxy) last night through 10x50
binoculars.

I could definitely see it but it was very faint, would I need to use a
telescope to discern the disk structure or just dark skies?

You would need to take a long exposure (3-4 mins) with a CCD using a
telescope of at least 6-inches aperture. You would need to have a larger
format CCD to take in enough galaxy to see the spiral arms, or a focal
reducer, or both. Mike Dworetsky
Hi - ok Mike I'm 10 miles from central London but my 70mm f/5 OG [Meade ETX-70] + CCD does a fair job in M31 at http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...big07105mg.jpg and more tiny scope stuff including Venus in daylight at http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/etx70mg.htm

Nytecam
Old October 13th 07, 09:52 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

ETX-70] + CCD does a fair job in M31 at http://tinyurl.com/yunhtd and
more tiny scope stuff including Venus in daylight at
http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/etx70mg.htm

Nytecam

--
nytecam[_1_]

Yes, OK, well that's a 32-min exposure. That's 10 times the exposure I
suggested for the 6 inch, yours is a c. 3-inch, so I guess my original
recommendation was comparable to what you might get with 15 mins (to detect
spiral arms). I was taking into account that the OP was a "newbie".

I'm old enough to remember getting similar results with a 1-hour
photographic exposure in a very dark site. Darkness is less a requirement
with CCDs, not from the S/N POV, but because to get a result you can
digitally subtract background fogging. On film/plate photographs this is
more difficult.

Is that a photomontage artefact in the middle?

Old October 14th 07, 06:42 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Yes, OK, well that's a 32-min exposure. That's 10 times the exposure I suggested for the 6 inch, yours is a 3-inch
No - that's 8min per quadrant [M31 is BIG] via 70mm OG eg 3"!

Quote:
Is that a photomontage artefact in the middle?
Yes - where the quadrants meet in this prelim mosaic.

Nytecam