APU noises

Old July 19th 06, 09:21 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default APU noises

This is really just a comment.

When Discovery landed, the APUs were still running and they sounded very
like some older car windscreenwiper motors, only louder of course.

Also there was an accompanying sound that reminded me of a hedgehog
foraging, ie sniffing about very loudly.

I knew it was the APUs as when they got the OK to turn them off you could
plainly hear them idle to nothing.

Brian

Email:

Old July 19th 06, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Fink

Yeah, I noticed that too. A new APU noise in the audio that I hadn't
noticed before. The old steam locomotive engine ch-ch-ch, of each little burst of
power being applied with each little squirt of fuel on to the catalyst
bed. But also, a loud high pitch gear whine that I hadn't heard before. The
gear whine was noticeably winding down after they turned them off one at a
time. If I had that gear whine in my car, I'd be worried.

Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Old July 19th 06, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

With all due respect it did sound like chitt chitty bang bang..or the
big locomotive in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with all the
bubbles

I always imagined a silent landing..well..not dead calm but...no engine
whinning

John John

Old July 19th 06, 05:01 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Heil

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:35:02 GMT, Craig Fink wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. A new APU noise in the audio that I hadn't
noticed before. The old steam locomotive engine ch-ch-ch, of each little burst of
power being applied with each little squirt of fuel on to the catalyst
bed. But also, a loud high pitch gear whine that I hadn't heard before. The
gear whine was noticeably winding down after they turned them off one at a
time. If I had that gear whine in my car, I'd be worried.

I'm guessing if you had something doing 80000 rpm in your car you'd be worried
as well!

--
Brian Heil (319) 335-0675 | Stay Alert! | Technology Services
Systems Administrator/Programmer | Trust No One! | University of Iowa
Old July 19th 06, 05:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Fink

True, 80000 rpm and a bunch of hydrazine. It's probably just the normal
noise they make as all three were making it. Maybe they had a better
microphone, to go along with the better video coverage.

Old July 19th 06, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
The Guy In Ireland

The video coverage is spectacular this mission, the SRB sep view as the
ET and Discovery continue on was like a movie...incredible

John John

Old July 20th 06, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
EricT

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news
Yeah, I noticed that too. A new APU noise in the audio that I hadn't
noticed before. The old steam locomotive engine ch-ch-ch, of each little
burst of
power being applied with each little squirt of fuel on to the catalyst
bed. But also, a loud high pitch gear whine that I hadn't heard before.
The
gear whine was noticeably winding down after they turned them off one at a
time. If I had that gear whine in my car, I'd be worried.

I watched the landing on C-Span, cant stand network, and after landing there
was small amount of time that were showing the shuttle with an infrared
camera. You could actually see the puffs emerging from between the left OMS
pod and rudder. It really looked like a steam engine. I remember another
shuttle landing years ago where there was an actual flame emerging from the
vent, I assumed that this was a normal event like a gas plant burning off
fumes.

I stopped watching live events on network TV, when possible, because between
the chatter, logos plastered all over the screen, and other animated
graphics announcing upcoming events, half the action you are tuning in to
see is obscured.