thoughts on time travel

Old January 5th 05, 01:01 AM
The Postman

Default thoughts on time travel

if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it would
displace itself as both atoms could not occupy the same space. One second
later when the time travel was to take place the atom would not be in the
right place and could not be sent back in time.
The further back in time the greater the disturbance. Butterfly wings flap
and cause storms.
Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

postman
Old January 5th 05, 01:13 AM
anon

"The Postman" wrote in message
if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it would
displace itself

no it wouldnt because atoms are constantly moving, even in solids at
absolute zero.

Old January 5th 05, 04:02 AM
Ookie Wonderslug

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:01:10 +0000, The Postman
wrote:

Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

postman

But we can. Every second of every day we are travelling forward in
time.
Old January 5th 05, 01:44 PM
Grey

"The Postman" wrote in message
if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it would
displace itself as both atoms could not occupy the same space. One second
later when the time travel was to take place the atom would not be in the
right place and could not be sent back in time.
The further back in time the greater the disturbance. Butterfly wings flap
and cause storms.
Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

Only forwards, not back.

Graham

postman

Old January 5th 05, 07:34 PM
The Ancient One

"Grey" wrote in message

"The Postman" wrote in message
if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it would
displace itself as both atoms could not occupy the same space. One second
later when the time travel was to take place the atom would not be in the
right place and could not be sent back in time.
The further back in time the greater the disturbance. Butterfly wings
flap
and cause storms.
Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

Only forwards, not back.

Graham

postman

When I was a kid I promised myself that if I ever got a time machine I would
travel back to my high school graduation and meet myself.
Since my future self never appeared I think it's safe to assume I'll never
travel back in time. ;-)

Old January 5th 05, 08:30 PM
Cactus88

The Postman wrote,
in post
:
if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it
would displace itself as both atoms could not occupy the same space.
One second later when the time travel was to take place the atom
would not be in the right place and could not be sent back in time.
The further back in time the greater the disturbance. Butterfly wings
flap and cause storms.
Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

postman

/Thoughts from a scientifically unsophisticated observer:/
Action can only take place in the Now. The past and future are just
constructs from our minds, a variable(T) needed for the formulas,
and not part of the Now. Time-travel is not possible because travel,
an action, cannot take place in the non-Now. Simple, but not exciting,
so ignored. Sorry, all you time-travel buffs. What's the next best
thing?
Thank God for the camera. Wow! There's Aunt Mable in college!
Cactus88

Old January 5th 05, 10:22 PM
The Postman

Grey wrote:

Only forwards, not back.

Graham

If time were a dimension we could travel along then it would be like walking
down a road but with every step we took the road behind would vanish into
thin air. And the road ahead would be invisible until we put a foot down to
fix it in place

postman
Old January 6th 05, 04:25 AM
Odysseus

The Ancient One wrote:

When I was a kid I promised myself that if I ever got a time machine I would
travel back to my high school graduation and meet myself.
Since my future self never appeared I think it's safe to assume I'll never
travel back in time. ;-)

Not while remaining in the same universe, at least.

--
Odysseus
Old January 7th 05, 01:39 AM

wrote:

if you were to send a atom back in time one second. On arriving it would
displace itself as both atoms could not occupy the same space. One second
later when the time travel was to take place the atom would not be in the
right place and could not be sent back in time.
The further back in time the greater the disturbance. Butterfly wings flap
and cause storms.
Time is not a dimension we can travel in !

postman

Thus is far too simplistic a view. An actual projection through the
time/space continuum of a living being would necessarily involve a
proportionate celestial physical displacement.

For example, assume (by some miraculous method quite beyond your
present ability to comprehend) that you found yourself actually
projected some 2000 years into the past at a specific location upon
earth.

The problem in the first instance is that planet earth does not
presently occupy the same physical location in the dynamic celestial
scheme of space that it occupied some 2000 years ago. The second
problem would involve locating the actual geographic location of your
target destination upon earth.

Actual "time travel" necessarily involves relocation across vast
distances of both time AND space.

Old January 7th 05, 02:20 AM
Gemini