Orion 80mm ED should i buy?

Old June 18th 04, 10:22 PM
CHASLX200

Default Orion 80mm ED should i buy?

Just wondered if i should buy the Orion 80mm ED, i'm kinda bored and would like
a new scope to play around with. I have a CG-5 to mount it on, guess for $500
the price seems good, i know it's not a Tak or AP!

Chas P.
Old June 18th 04, 10:32 PM
Phil Wheeler

Why not? It has gotten good reviews.

http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews4/orion80-2.htm

http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews5/orion80.htm

Of course, remember that the nights are short now anyway and a new scope
will bring on several weeks of cloudy weather :-)

Also -- you will need to provide mounting rings, diagonal, EPs, finder, etc.

Phil

Old June 18th 04, 10:57 PM
CHASLX200

Subject: Orion 80mm ED should i buy?
From: Phil Wheeler
Date: 6/18/04 2:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Why not? It has gotten good reviews.

http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews4/orion80-2.htm

http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews5/orion80.htm

Of course, remember that the nights are short now anyway and a new scope
will bring on several weeks of cloudy weather :-)

Also -- you will need to provide mounting rings, diagonal, EPs, finder, etc.

Phil

**********************
Its cloudy from June to mid Sept, and i have all the goodies minus rings!

I loved the Tak FS-78, i just wanna try all other scopes in that size range...

Chas P.
Old June 18th 04, 10:57 PM
CHASLX200

Old June 19th 04, 03:17 AM
Jon Isaacs

Just wondered if i should buy the Orion 80mm ED, i'm kinda bored and would
like a new scope to play around with. I have a CG-5 to mount it on, guess for
$500 the price seems good, i know it's not a Tak or AP!

Charles:

My thinking...

Yes, go ahead and buy it, it supposed to be a fine scope and I am sure you will
enjoy it. Its pretty hard to lose much money on one, new ones seem to go for
not much less than used ones.

I am tempted to buy one myself, just too cheap though....

jon

Old June 19th 04, 03:20 AM
Phil Wheeler

Jon Isaacs wrote:

Just wondered if i should buy the Orion 80mm ED, i'm kinda bored and would
like a new scope to play around with. I have a CG-5 to mount it on, guess for
$500 the price seems good, i know it's not a Tak or AP!

Charles:

My thinking...

Yes, go ahead and buy it, it supposed to be a fine scope and I am sure you will
enjoy it. Its pretty hard to lose much money on one, new ones seem to go for
not much less than used ones.

I am tempted to buy one myself, just too cheap though....

Me, too, Jon. But I am still enjoying the new (tho not APO) AT-1010 I
recently acquired. Big improvement over the 80WA/ST-80 I was using for
travel.

Phil

Old June 19th 04, 03:49 AM
Jon Isaacs

Me, too, Jon. But I am still enjoying the new (tho not APO) AT-1010 I
recently acquired. Big improvement over the 80WA/ST-80 I was using for
travel.

I have an 80WA and I have a Pronto as well. If I didn't have the Pronto, I
would probably spring for the ED80...

jon