News flash: Component failure on Hubble Space Telescope

Old June 25th 06, 05:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default News flash: Component failure on Hubble Space Telescope

I just heard on the radio a news report that a "camera" has failed on
the HST. It was reported that a power supply has stopped working and
that the other "cameras" onboard the Hubble are still operating.

Since it is the weekend and news travels slowly, we will have to wait
for Monday for the STSI to issue a formal news release, so we can get
the news straight from the source and not from journalists interns
that work on the weekends.

Matthew Ota

Old June 25th 06, 05:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:
I just heard on the radio a news report that a "camera" has failed on
the HST. It was reported that a power supply has stopped working and
that the other "cameras" onboard the Hubble are still operating.

Since it is the weekend and news travels slowly, we will have to wait
for Monday for the STSI to issue a formal news release, so we can get
the news straight from the source and not from journalists interns
that work on the weekends.

OK, but what have they been doing all week?
The ACS failed on Monday.
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=21086
That news flash is fading faster than a GRB ;-)

Shawn

P.S. Who thinks some official Washington type will say "Look, it
doesn't work, lets pull funding (and BTW my Montana banana ranch will
create more jobs than the WPA)"
;-)
Old June 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Matthew Ota" wrote:

I just heard on the radio a news report that a "camera" has failed on
the HST. It was reported that a power supply has stopped working and
that the other "cameras" onboard the Hubble are still operating.

Since it is the weekend and news travels slowly, we will have to wait
for Monday for the STSI to issue a formal news release, so we can get
the news straight from the source and not from journalists interns
that work on the weekends.

I'm guessing you don't read the HST Daily Reports?
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro.hubble?hl=en
Have a look at 4128 onwards. Straight from the source... :--)

In any event, ACS is back up in Operate1 mode, so this doesn't appear
to be like the problem that was seen with STIS.

Old June 25th 06, 07:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Report I saw last night said it had gone into "Safe Mode" and they where
trying to figure out what had caused it to go into safe mode.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

ps.com...

Old June 26th 06, 01:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

. ..

--

This morning's NPR news said that NASA engineers believe the camera had
suffered a power surge, which is what caused it to go into safe mode. They

Early NASA PDFs Rusty History 48 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
MORE ON BILLY MEIER and the Henoch Prophecies -- Extraterrestrials -- UFOs Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 May 10th 06 03:25 PM
ED CONRAD WILL WIN IN THE LONG RUN -- 1996 Prediction Coming True -- Evolution Going Belly Up -- Man as Old as Coal Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 May 10th 06 01:31 PM
Congressional Resolutions on Hubble Space Telescope EFLASPO Amateur Astronomy 0 April 1st 04 03:26 PM