CAIB releases detailed "working scenario"

Old July 12th 03, 12:25 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default CAIB releases detailed "working scenario"

Some interesting gems in this document, such as this one on p. 63:

quote
While Columbia was on-orbit, there was no indication of damage from either
the ascent foam impact or a micrometeoroid/orbital debris (MMOD)
hypervelocity debris impact based on orbiter telemetry, crew downlinked
video and still photography, or crew reports. Multiple comprehensive
postflight reviews of the same data indicated that there was nothing
unusual with any of Columbia.s systems or structure.
/quote

Hmm, guess Tom Wheeler never contacted the CAIB like people urged him to
do, huh?

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 12th 03, 02:44 AM
Bruce Palmer

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Some interesting gems in this document, such as this one on p. 63:

quote
While Columbia was on-orbit, there was no indication of damage from either
the ascent foam impact or a micrometeoroid/orbital debris (MMOD)
hypervelocity debris impact based on orbiter telemetry, crew downlinked
video and still photography, or crew reports. Multiple comprehensive
postflight reviews of the same data indicated that there was nothing
unusual with any of Columbia.s systems or structure.
/quote

Hmm, guess Tom Wheeler never contacted the CAIB like people urged him to
do, huh?

I used Tom's methods with some other pictures and made an amazing
discovery myself. In response to another poster's contention that it is
dangerous to allow a returning shuttle to fly over populated areas, I
did a little research.

I found a photo taken from orbit of the Dallas-Fort Worth area of
northern Texas. I enlarged it in Photoshop and enhanced the contrast.
Then I enlarged it some more. You know what? I couldn't see any people
there at all! So I would say that yes, it is safe to bring in a shuttle
that may be damaged over big cities.

Oh, sure, now I suppose you're going to tell me that Tom's methods
weren't valid...

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003

Old July 12th 03, 10:40 AM
OM

On 11 Jul 2003 23:25:59 GMT, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Hmm, guess Tom Wheeler never contacted the CAIB like people urged him to
do, huh?

....Nope. Sure didn't. Wonder why?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 12th 03, 10:40 PM
Mike Dennis

Looking through the report, it's interesting to note all the contributions
that can be traced back to SSS. In some small way, maybe we've all helped
make a space a safer place. Nice work people!

Old July 13th 03, 04:38 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Mike Dennis" wrote in
:

Looking through the report, it's interesting to note all the
contributions that can be traced back to SSS. In some small way,
maybe we've all helped make a space a safer place. Nice work people!

Well, to be fair, most of what we've discussed has also been discussed at
the CAIB's press briefings, on which this "working scenario" document was
based. So it's probably more a matter of us paying attention to the CAIB
than vice-versa.

That said, while I know of no CAIB board members who read sci.space.*,
there are at least two members of the CAIB advisory panel who used to post
here, and can be presumed to lurk here. So it is possible, though unlikely,
that our discussions have had some indirect influence on the board.

And no, I'm not going to identify the two. You'll just have to guess. :-)
--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 14th 03, 12:19 AM
Terrence Daniels

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
That said, while I know of no CAIB board members who read sci.space.*,
there are at least two members of the CAIB advisory panel who used to post
here, and can be presumed to lurk here. So it is possible, though

unlikely,
that our discussions have had some indirect influence on the board.

No kidding?

I sent them a letter a couple of weeks ago with a suggestion for debris
recovery efforts. If I'd have known that, I might have saved myself 37
cents.