"opinion"

Old January 17th 07, 11:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sy Bourg

Default "opinion"

LMAO !!

what does introspection mean?
Sam Wormley wrote:
Sitav wrote:
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Sitav--Your postings have at least gotten some of us to do some
introspection.

Old January 17th 07, 11:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
ups.com...
[SNIP]
--You at least tried to keep your posts ON TOPIC. The subject of
sci.astro.amateur is NOT black holes, other dimensions, aliens, or
similar things, it's OBSERVATIONAL AMATEUR ASTRONOMY. That includes,
"What was that bright star I saw in the west this evening?" It does not
include things like, "I wonder if black holes form pathways to
dimension X."
[SNIP]

Rod,

Please, please, let me know how to visit this unusual exclusively
Observational Amateur Astronomy newsgroup!

Seriously, I think saying this is just for observational topics is
stretching it a bit. Most amateurs I know have a rather wide range of
astronomy interests beyond observing. And if there is a "charter" somewhere
that so decrees, it was obviously broken long ago.

Clear skies, Alan

Old January 17th 07, 11:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sy Bourg

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sitav wrote:
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Don't cop an attitude, miss.

Most of the replies you've got are friendly. Frankly, you'd probably
make more friends here if:

--You listened more and talked less at first. Enthusiasm is fine, but
keep a _little bit_ of a lid on it. ;-)

--You at least tried to keep your posts ON TOPIC. The subject of
sci.astro.amateur is NOT black holes, other dimensions, aliens, or
similar things, it's OBSERVATIONAL AMATEUR ASTRONOMY. That includes,
"What was that bright star I saw in the west this evening?" It does not
include things like, "I wonder if black holes form pathways to
dimension X."

If you're more interested in the latter sort of topic, you'd probably
be happier posting on our parent group, sci.astro, where they love to
talk about such things. At length. With abandon. ;-)

You forgot...get lost !

Old January 18th 07, 12:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

There is, Alan, and that is not a good thing.

Sci.astro is perfect for the discussion of these topics. All bringing
more of that into s.a.a. does is to further lessen the usefulness of
the group for the many--well, maybe "few"--of us left who remember the
glory days. The nights when you could take a break from observing, log
onto s.a.a. and see that somebody had just come in from looking at the
same galaxy cluster you were just admiring, and proceed to compare
notes.

There are plenty of places to talk about Far-Out Stuff. There are not
many places left--on Usenet, anyway--where you can just talk about the
wonderful things to be seen in the sky.

That said, I don't want to come off being mean to this girl. She's
clearly enthusiastic, is very nice I'm sure, and certainly can post
whatever the heck she wants.

She _did_ wonder why she did not get the kind of response she wanted,
though--whatever that might have been.

;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:
Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
and
The Urban Astronomer's Guide
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland

Old January 18th 07, 01:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sy Bourg

Heads up Sitav, Sam likes cruisin for kids in here.

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
Sy Bourg wrote:

Old January 18th 07, 01:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:34:34 -0500, "Alan French"
wrote:

Seriously, I think saying this is just for observational topics is
stretching it a bit. Most amateurs I know have a rather wide range of
astronomy interests beyond observing. And if there is a "charter" somewhere
that so decrees, it was obviously broken long ago.

I'm with you, Alan. Amateur astronomy has evolved tremendously in recent
years. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with discussions of
cosmology or planetary science (although these topics do have a way of
bringing out the crackpots). IMO the group has evolved beyond its
original charter.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 18th 07, 01:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Knisely

Alan French wrote:

Rod,

Please, please, let me know how to visit this unusual exclusively
Observational Amateur Astronomy newsgroup!

Seriously, I think saying this is just for observational topics is
stretching it a bit. Most amateurs I know have a rather wide range of
astronomy interests beyond observing. And if there is a "charter" somewhere
that so decrees, it was obviously broken long ago.

Well, sci.astro.amateur is supposed to be for those interested in the
hobby of amateur astronomy (and that does include observations, as well
as imaging and equipment). This is what the charter says. It is not
intended for astronomy or astronomical "speculation" in general (that is
sci.astro). Despite the charter being "broken" by a lot of people who
don't bother to read it (or deliberately ignore it), the charter remains
in effect:

The sci.astro.amateur charter
-----------------------------
The original version was written by Ken Kirksey
:

What Is sci.astro.amateur?

sci.astro.amateur is forum for amateur astronomers to discuss topics of
mutual interest, with a focus on astronomical observing.

What Are Suitable Topics For sci.astro.amateur?

Discussion in sci.astro.amateur includes, but is not necessarily limited
to, the following topics:

Observing
Using the naked eye, binoculars, or telescopes
The Moon, Planets, Stars, The Sun, Comets, Deep Sky
Objects, Constellations, et. al.

Equipment
Choosing Telescopes/Binoculars
Choosing Accessories (Finders, Drives, Eyepieces, Filters,
Observatories, etc.)
Building Telescopes, Backyard Observatories, etc.

Astrophotography
Traditional
CCD
Image Processing

Astronomy Software
Planetarium Programs
Deep Sky Programs
Observatory Programs
Educational Programs

Tips & Techniques for Amateur Astronomers

Literature covering the topics listed above

What Topics Are *Not* Suitable for sci.astro.amateur?

Anything of a highly technical, theoretical, or cosmological nature G.
Seriously, one of the major reasons that sci.astro.amateur was created
was that people were tired of wading through all the black hole, origin
& fate of the universe, Steven Hawking | Carl Sagan is a twit, et. al.
kind of posts to get to the ones discussing the topics listed in this
charter. While some of the theoretical/cosmological topics may be of
interest to some amateur astronomers, discussion in sci.astro.amateur
should be pretty much limited to the PRACTICE of amateur astronomy.
We'll leave the heavy topics for sci.astro.

Clear skies to you.

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 15th-20th, 2007, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *
Old January 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Knisely

Alan Peterson wrote:

I'm with you, Alan. Amateur astronomy has evolved tremendously in recent
years. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with discussions of
cosmology or planetary science (although these topics do have a way of
bringing out the crackpots). IMO the group has evolved beyond its
original charter.

Well, I am not with you at all. There are a number of other Usenet
newsgroups or on-line forums for discussion of things like cosmology,
planetary science, space exploration, etc. without having to include
some of those endless "debates" here. The charter says it all
*"sci.astro.amateur is forum for amateur astronomers to discuss topics
of mutual interest, with a focus on astronomical observing".* It is for
the hobby of Amateur Astronomy. If people want to be taken seriously
here, they should stay fairly close to the relevant amateur astronomy
topics which the group was set up for. Clear skies to you.

Old January 18th 07, 01:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Howard Lester wrote:
"Sitav" wrote

When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

I suggest you first learn to write not only a complete sentence, but one
with proper punctuation.

For the uninitiated, that would be what's called a troll post: it's
usually an adult acting in a juvenile fashion by posting something
stupid and/or insulting in order to get a reaction. It's the online
equivalent of pulling the tail of a cat. For some unknown reason some
of these dolts seem to think it is a high form of humor. Pretty lame eh?

What nobody has said so far, is that there are enough of these people
about here that none of us can ever be sure if someone posting as
"Sitav" who claims to be a 15 year old girl isn't just one of them
having a joke at everyone else's expense. Sad isn't it? But that's
usenet. If you are in fact a real person, I suggest finding a nice
astronomy Yahoogroup to ask your questions on instead.

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

To reply take out your eye
Old January 18th 07, 02:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sy Bourg

Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028