"opinion"

Old January 17th 07, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sitav

Default "opinion"

When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Old January 17th 07, 09:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave[_10_]

"Sitav" wrote in message
oups.com...
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Sitav,
Of course its not a crime to ask questions. You have to understand that this
an open forum and expect the whole spectrum of human nature to be on display
here - good and bad. Just ignore the "rank" replies and cherish the
Knowledge you gain from the rest.

someones Dad

Old January 17th 07, 10:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"Sitav" wrote in message
oups.com...
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

I looked through the thread, and didn't find anything too "rank," and there
certainly were some good and thoughtful replies to your question.

You have to understand that there are very helpful, knowledgeable people
here, but there are also people who have odd ideas, a personal agenda to
promote, or who are just plain rude and annoying. Some may be just trying
to get a reaction, and some may have mental or social problems. You just
have to learn who is going to be helpful.

We were at a lecture on cosmology last night, and it was a lot of fun.
There are a lot of interesting topics in astronomy and astrophysics, but few
seem as interesting as where the universe came from, how did it evolve, and
what is its ultimate fate.

Clear skies, Alan

Old January 17th 07, 10:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester

"Sitav" wrote

When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

I suggest you first learn to write not only a complete sentence, but one
with proper punctuation.

Old January 17th 07, 10:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Howard Lester wrote:
"Sitav" wrote

When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

I suggest you first learn to write not only a complete sentence, but one
with proper punctuation.

I suggest you count to 10^99999999999999999999999999 before putting
hand to the keyboard.

Andrea T.

Old January 17th 07, 10:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sitav

what does introspection mean?
Sam Wormley wrote:
Sitav wrote:
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Sitav--Your postings have at least gotten some of us to do some
introspection.

Old January 17th 07, 11:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Sitav wrote:
When i posted "opinion", i got a few pretty rank replies. I am young
and still getting to know and i come here to be able to learn people
that probably know more than me. Is it a crime to ask about what
exactly i am learning and its importance? If it is, whats the point of
learning?

Don't cop an attitude, miss.

Most of the replies you've got are friendly. Frankly, you'd probably
make more friends here if:

--You listened more and talked less at first. Enthusiasm is fine, but
keep a _little bit_ of a lid on it. ;-)

--You at least tried to keep your posts ON TOPIC. The subject of
sci.astro.amateur is NOT black holes, other dimensions, aliens, or
similar things, it's OBSERVATIONAL AMATEUR ASTRONOMY. That includes,
"What was that bright star I saw in the west this evening?" It does not
include things like, "I wonder if black holes form pathways to
dimension X."

If you're more interested in the latter sort of topic, you'd probably
be happier posting on our parent group, sci.astro, where they love to
talk about such things. At length. With abandon. ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:
Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
and
The Urban Astronomer's Guide
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland

Old January 17th 07, 11:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester

wrote

Howard Lester wrote:

I suggest you first learn to write not only a complete sentence, but one
with proper punctuation.

I suggest you count to 10^99999999999999999999999999 before putting
hand to the keyboard.

What - you have no trouble reading unintelligible, sloppy postings? If so,
you're better at this game than I.

Old January 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Patrick Edward Murray

Starburst,

Somehow I think you are barking up a wrong tree here

Sitav,

So did you ever contact one of those Astronomy Clubs close to you?
If so, what did you find out?

What's your science teacher at school like? Do you have clubs at
School?
If so, and if your Science teacher is in favor, why don't you ask him
or her to sponsor
a Science Club or even perhaps an Astronomy Club for your school?

I may not be someones Dad but I sure am someones Uncle