Pioneer 10 and 11 trajectory elements ???

Old October 24th 03, 06:20 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Default Pioneer 10 and 11 trajectory elements ???

Anybody known where I can find the Pioneer 10 and 11 trajectory elements ???
I've done some Googling and rummaging around on the JPL and various NASA
sites, but so far no luck... :-(

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'
Old October 30th 03, 01:06 PM
PP

Why not write JPL or Goldstone tracking station.
They have been tracking these probes for years - at least couple tries a day
for a couple days per year and have received faint signals in last few
years. Therefore, they must have at least raw position (if not precise)
coordinates to be able to do that.

Below is the last public data I saw about Pioneer:-

Pioneer 10

Distance from Sun : 82.19 AU
Speed relative to the Sun: 12.224 km/sec (27,345 mph)
Distance from Earth: 12.21 billion kilometers (7.59 billion miles)
(Round-trip Light Time 3D 22 hours 38 minutes)

The Pioneer 10 signal was detected on 23 January 2003, but because of
limited link time (due to a high-power transmitter trip) no telemetry was
received. During uplink on 22 January 2003, the high-power transmitter
tripped off. A second high-power transmission was limited to a short time at
the end of the track. A GTT-off command was radiated. During downlink on
23 January 2003, the signal was found but there was no lockon to the
subcarrier. (Roundtrip Light Time was 22 hours 35 minutes).

On 5 December 2002, there was a Pioneer 10 contact. The Deep Space Station
(DSS) near Madrid (DSS-63) found the signal but could not lock onto the
receiver, and so no telemetry was received. The signal level was ust under
the threshold value. The uplink from DSS-14 at Goldstone, sent 4 December
2002, at a power level of 325 kw, confirmed that the spacecraft signal is
still there (Round Trip Light Time 3D 22 hours 24 minutes).

Project Phoenix also picked up the signal at Arecibo in Puerto Rico

--

"steve rappolee" wrote in message
om...
(Gordon D. Pusch) wrote in message

Anybody known where I can find the Pioneer 10 and 11 trajectory elements

???
I've done some Googling and rummaging around on the JPL and various NASA
sites, but so far no luck... :-(

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//;

print;'

early AIAA astrodynamics conference papers have pioneer 10 and
11 as well as voyager I and II trajectory elements for these
spacecraft for just before there TCM-1 maneuvers or to restate there
initial injection aimpoints.propagate these out and you find a high
probability that the pioneer 10 and the two voyagers star solid rocket
upper stages most likely followed the spacecraft into there Jupiter
flybys and are in a solar system escape trajectory.

Steve rappolee

Need orbital elements at ET sep Ian J. E. Jordan Space Shuttle 1 April 2nd 04 07:38 PM
Pioneer 10 and 11 trajectory elements ??? Gordon D. Pusch Science 1 October 27th 03 04:30 PM
Trajectory Analysis OM Space Shuttle 12 July 17th 03 01:42 PM
Mars trajectory problems? Bill Clark Space Science Misc 0 July 13th 03 11:25 PM