Is there a center of the Universe ?

Old January 21st 04, 08:35 AM
Dat's Me

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:19:29 -0500, G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Dave B If the universe is infinite in size it could not have a center. If
the universe is finite in size it can't have a center. The surface of the
Earth is finite in size,but show me a point on its surface that indecates
its center???? Bert

Its kind of hard to do that, considering that the Earth is essentially
spherical.
Old January 21st 04, 12:50 PM
Greg Neill

"Dat's Me" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:19:29 -0500, G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Dave B If the universe is infinite in size it could not have a center. If
the universe is finite in size it can't have a center. The surface of the
Earth is finite in size,but show me a point on its surface that indecates
its center???? Bert

Its kind of hard to do that, considering that the Earth is essentially
spherical.

In the Forum of ancient Rome there is a stone column
referred to as the Navel of the World, or Umbilicus Urbis
Romae, from which all distances in the empire were
measured.

I realize that this is not exactly germane to the
discussion. :-)

Old January 22nd 04, 05:51 AM
Dat's Me

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:50:40 -0500, Greg Neill wrote:

"Dat's Me" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:19:29 -0500, G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Dave B If the universe is infinite in size it could not have a
center. If the universe is finite in size it can't have a center. The
surface of the Earth is finite in size,but show me a point on its
surface that indecates its center???? Bert

Its kind of hard to do that, considering that the Earth is essentially
spherical.

In the Forum of ancient Rome there is a stone column referred to as the
Navel of the World, or Umbilicus Urbis Romae, from which all distances in
the empire were measured.

I realize that this is not exactly germane to the discussion. :-)

On the other hand, you _did_ supply an answer that could be looked at as
valid.

Old January 24th 04, 07:23 AM
Painius

"Greg Neill" wrote...
in message . ..

"Dat's Me" wrote in message
news

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:19:29 -0500, G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Dave B If the universe is infinite in size it could not have a center. If
the universe is finite in size it can't have a center. The surface of the
Earth is finite in size,but show me a point on its surface that indecates
its center???? Bert

Its kind of hard to do that, considering that the Earth is essentially
spherical.

In the Forum of ancient Rome there is a stone column
referred to as the Navel of the World, or Umbilicus Urbis
Romae, from which all distances in the empire were
measured.

I realize that this is not exactly germane to the
discussion. :-)

Right, it sounds more like Italian to me.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Your heart up hanging on the wall
Just dripping tears so painfully,

Protected from all manner, form
And shape of harm it will e'er be,
If you say no, I fade and die,
I need your heart inside me.

Paine Ellsworth

Old January 25th 04, 02:51 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

In our present spacetime thinking we have to go with mini-bangs. Yes
there was an origenal big bang,and it made min-bangs look like striking
a match compared to a 200 megaton H-bomb. Still out of the origenal
nature could keep recycling parts of it using the core of supermassive
blackholes that has a singularity. We have to think of a singularity
as a blue print for a universe(like DNA) Now the orginal big bang took
place an infinite time ago. The minii- bang that is now our universe
took place 16 billion years ago. Well readers I can't tell you the
center,for I know not where we are,but if you went 8 billion LY out in
any direction you could get lucky and be much closer to the place in
space where our mini- bang exploded. Bert