NASA scuttling more space missions so it can spend more on global warming

Old April 30th 14, 05:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

Default Genesis of Justice

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:58:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:12:13 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:29:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I'm tired of subsidizing Walmart with my tax money.

I'm tired of subsidizing this:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/27/gm...-electric-car/

I'm tired of subsidizing oil wars - the trillions spent on useless wars, the cost of defending the sea lanes so oil tankers can travel unmolested, the countless thousands of lives lost in these wars, the damage to the environment done by oil spills and pollution, the increase in greenhouse gases which will cost untold trillions down the road, and on and on. I would rahter have my tax money spent on solar energy and electric propulsion. It's coming, regardless of how much you wish it away.
Old May 1st 14, 12:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:58:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:12:13 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:29:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

If Walmart's ~ $200 billion in assets were to be divided among its ~ two million employees then each would receive a one-time payout of ~ $100,000. The company would not be able to operate, the employees would spend the money (SUV sales would spike)... then what?

How about if they just paid their employees a decent wage so they would not qualify for foodstamps and put he burden on taxpayers.

With only ~$16 billion in net income, Walmart would only be able to pay an additional ~$8K per year to each of its ~two million employees, or ~$4 per hour extra.

I'm tired of subsidizing Walmart with my tax money.

I'm tired of subsidizing this:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/27/gm...-electric-car/

They and companies like them are basically welfare moochers.

If there were less welfare available, there would be less mooching.

The rest of us businesses pay our employees well, and we're doing just fine.

~40+ Americans are on "food stamps" whereas Walmart has only ~two million employees. Unless each employee has twenty children, Walmart isn't the problem.

Rather than brag about how well you pay your (skilled?) employees, why not go over to the Big Box and poach some of its employees?

Race to the bottom - is that what you think will produce a prosperous society?

Strawman. I never said that.

In 1962 when I entered college, I was working part-time weekend days in a grocery store and washing dishes evenings in a large restaurant. My pay in both places was $1.85 per hour. Gas was 33 cents a gallon, burgers at White Castle were 25c each, 5 for a buck. New cars ran between $2000 and $3000. My college tuition was $250 per quarter. Rent was split with roommate at $25 per month.

Today it costs $3.75 for gas, cars cost $20k and up, rents are way up and college tuition is outa sight! Minimum wage is still $7.50, which is about half what I was making in 1962. My $1.85 had the same buying power as $14.47 today (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....62&year2=2014). A proposed raise in min wage to only $10.50 just got defeated in congress.

I didn't need foodstamps back then and lived ok on my minimum wage jobs, was able to afford food, gas, rent AND college tuition on what I made. Drove a moped with a 1 gallon tank that most times needed only 2 bits (2 bits = 1 shiny quarter) to fill. I took out no student loans until my 5th year, and that was only for $400.

So, how were those groceries and restaurants able to pay their employees the equivalent of $14.47 per hour back in the '60s and today they whine about having to pay $7.50? Heaven forbid it should be $10! What is wrong with businesses today, are they being run by morons?
Old May 1st 14, 11:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:51:51 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

I'm tired of subsidizing oil wars

Name one that the US started.

- the trillions spent on useless wars,

Do you consider WW2 useless? Who started that one for the US?

the cost of defending the sea lanes so oil tankers can travel unmolested,

Yes, safe passage for unarmed merchant vessels...what a terrible waste!

the countless thousands of lives lost in these wars,

Tens of thousands of Iraqis killed in GW I, ~1000+ Kuwaitis, and 1000 Allies...but who invaded Kuwait?

the damage to the environment done by oil spills and pollution, the increase in greenhouse gases which will cost untold trillions down the road, and on and on.

No more flights to Hawaii for you then! May I suggest a dugout canoe?

I would rahter have my tax money spent on solar energy and electric propulsion. It's coming, regardless of how much you wish it away.

Strawman. I'm not trying to "wish it away" but I do expect people to pay for their own solar panels and cars (electric or otherwise.)
Old May 1st 14, 11:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:04:20 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In 1962 when I entered college, I was working part-time weekend days in a grocery store and washing dishes evenings in a large restaurant. My pay in both places was $1.85 per hour.

The minimum wage in 1962 was.... $1.15 NOT $1.85.

In view of that fact you might wish to recalibrate your numbers and/or make up some new ones.

I have, mercifully, deleted the remainder of your rant.

Old May 1st 14, 12:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 01/05/2014 11:38, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:51:51 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

I'm tired of subsidizing oil wars

Name one that the US started.

Iraq II (the Bush grudge match). It also went momentously pear shaped.
There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq despite all the lies.
Remember "Mission Accomplished" what a total waste of time and money.

I still recall watching your only credible spokesman Colin Powell at the
UN lying through his teeth to try and get approval for Iraq II. Blair
cooked up the dodgy dossier as a pretext for war in the UK. If we hadn't
started that mess in Iraq we could have finished in Afghanistan.

Our installed puppet ruler in Afghanistan isn't looking like he will
last much longer - so much for "democracy". Had the US "intelligence"
services read the intel from a century earlier they would have at least
understood what they were getting into and been better prepared.

- the trillions spent on useless wars,

We will pay dearly for the Arab spring since US drone summary execution
collateral damage has now reached a point where most people in the Arab
world view the USA with if not suspicion then downright hostility.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 1st 14, 12:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:00:24 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/05/2014 11:38, wsnell01 wrote:

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:51:51 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

I'm tired of subsidizing oil wars

Name one that the US started.

Iraq II (the Bush grudge match). It also went momentously pear shaped.
There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq despite all the lies.

Then perhaps Hussein should not have interfered with UN weapons inspections. It might have saved him a hangin' for gassing the Kurds (along with his many other atrocities.)
Old May 1st 14, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:45:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:04:20 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In 1962 when I entered college, I was working part-time weekend days in a grocery store and washing dishes evenings in a large restaurant. My pay in both places was $1.85 per hour.

The minimum wage in 1962 was.... $1.15 NOT $1.85.

In view of that fact you might wish to recalibrate your numbers and/or make up some new ones.

I have, mercifully, deleted the remainder of your rant.

Yes, FEDERAL min wage was, but in my state the min wage was higher, as it is in many states today. I was working for $1.85, I was in a union job, had to join to work (Retail Clerks International), all grocery stores in my city were unionized. In fact, the grocery store in my neighborhood today has union employees, whoda thunk such a thing was still possible in this day and age?
Old May 1st 14, 04:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

So the man named one, and you deftly sidestepped it, right? It's called a ****slide, which you practice quite well over and over. So, are you saying Iraq was not an oil war? Iraqi oil was supposed to pay for that war. What happened to that wet dream?
Old May 1st 14, 09:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 5/1/14 8:53 AM, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In fact, the grocery store in my neighborhood today has union employees, whoda thunk such a thing was still possible in this day and age?

The grocery store in my neighborhood today is owned by the employees.
Old May 1st 14, 11:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/1/14 8:53 AM, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In fact, the grocery store in my neighborhood today has union employees,
whoda thunk such a thing was still possible in this day and age?

The grocery store in my neighborhood today is owned by the employees.

As is the supermarket I use : Waitrose.