Top Five Arguments for the Importance of Napping

Old May 29th 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.philosophy,sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Top Five Arguments for the Importance of Napping

Le 11-05-25 09:30, Jonathan a écrit :
"profane wrote in message

I think the world would be a better place if more people took sleep
breaks during the day. I have found some good arguments and research
to back this up:

I used to think it physically impossible to go entirely without sleep.
I haven't slept for more than an hour since I quit smoking almost
five years ago.

Not possible. You might want to read abouty pardoxical insomnia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxical_insomnia

Alain Fournier
Old May 30th 11, 03:45 AM posted to alt.philosophy,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"profane wrote in message

I think the world would be a better place if more people took sleep
breaks during the day. I have found some good arguments and research
to back this up:

I used to think it physically impossible to go entirely without sleep.
I haven't slept for more than an hour since I quit smoking almost
five years ago.

Not possible. You might want to read abouty pardoxical insomnia.

But I can tell you for certain almost no time goes by without
notice for some five years now, when I quit smoking. Not sure
why quitting can cause insomnia.

That link makes a good point though, in mistaking sleep for insomnia.
I do spend almost a normal nights sleep in a half-awake condition.
But it's hard to call that sleep since most of that time
is spent typing these posts to newsgroups or driving to
and from work. It's odd, but one effect of insomnia is not
being able to stay awake while driving. Most of my
long-winded complexity science rants are furiously typed
while half conscious from sleepiness. Barely able to keep
my eyes open.

But they stay open, I rarely sleep more than a hour a day.
And it's normal to go a week or two without even trying
to fall asleep. The last memory of any sleep was about
two weeks ago when I lost track of time for three
hours straight, two nights in a row.

But I think I have a solution, a brand new expensive
Lazy-Boy will arrive next Saturday. I think I have a form
of sleep apnea. When asleep the airway relaxes and collapses
due to gravity. The fix is supposed to be to reduce the
gravitational effect by elevating the upper body when
sleeping.

It may turn out, however, the real problem is that I enjoy
being alive so much, I refuse to sleep through
even an hour.