Astronomy vendors and their "sales"

Old March 25th 09, 08:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Astronomy vendors and their "sales"

On 25 Μαρ, 22:11, "William R. Mattil" wrote:
wrote:

PS. Four years ago I had an accident with my beloved C14 where
overnight winds knocked it over along with my Losmandy G11 mount, thus
breaking the primary mirror.

I sent email to Celestron at Irvine and who directed me to the local
dealer. I asked him for a quote to have the primary and secondary
replaced since they would have to be spun new at Irvine. He came back
to me with the comment that he would help me and in spite of the fact
I did not purchase it from him (I brought with me from the US when
returning to Greece permanently) .... his price for the "service" was
3300 euro plus 4.25% (duty) and 19% (taxes) on the combined amount of
3300 plus shipping (his cost was less than 1800 euro).

My reply to him was that I could buy a BRAND new C14 for less
stateside and even when including duties and taxes. His reply: "what
are you going to do if it needs service" ... implying that he will not
act as Celestron's dealer representative if I purchase from outside of
Greece.

My return reply to him was obvious ... "to hell with both you and
Celestron"!

Anthony,

First of all I really doubt that the local dealer is better prepared to
provide service that what you could do yourself. g And I suspect that
you know this. So .... assuming that you want to get the C-14 going
again it should be a fairly simple task to get someone in the US to
broker a deal for new optics and then replace them yourself. Or .... as
you mentioned, get another OTA.

Best Regards

Bill

--
William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

Hi Bill,

I am expecting a Mak-Cas with premium optics and at a similar aperture
and focal length to my busted C14. The real loser in all of this was
Celestron ... my busted C14 has been packed in a box ready for
shipment ever since I had prepared it for shipping to Irvine a day or
two after my accident back in 2005.

Anthony.
Old March 25th 09, 10:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.Bee

On Mar 25, 9:35*pm, wrote:

I am expecting a Mak-Cas with premium optics and at a similar aperture
and focal length to my busted C14. The real loser in all of this was
Celestron ... my busted C14 has been packed in a box ready for
shipment ever since I had prepared it for shipping to Irvine a day or
two after my accident back in 2005.

Anthony.

I don't suppose your scope was covered by home contents insurance?
Obviously it is much too late now but I'm curious whether you pursued
this possibility?