Hayabusa starts fully fledged return trip to Earth (Forwarded)

Old April 27th 07, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.news
Andrew Yee[_1_]

Default Hayabusa starts fully fledged return trip to Earth (Forwarded)

Public Affairs Department
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
Marunouchi Kitaguchi Building
1-6-5, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8260
Japan
Tel: +81-3-6266-6413 to 7 Fax: +81-3-6266-6910

April 25, 2007 (JST)

"Hayabusa" starts fully fledged return trip to Earth

Since February 2007, JAXA has been carefully preparing to start the
fully fledged return trip to Earth using the ion engine and one
attitude control reaction wheels (as two of the three wheels are
unavailable due to anomalies.) The Hayabusa's return to the Earth is
scheduled for June 2010.

We have faced challenges during the preparation, for example, the
establishment of the attitude control that can maintain the alignment
of the ion engines thrust vector took more time than expected, and
more study was required to set up the operation method of the ion
engine in consideration of its aged deterioration. We are now ready to
start the return cruise operation with countermeasures for these
problems.

Therefore, we would like to announce that on 2:30 p.m. on April 25
(Japan Standard Time [0530 UTC]) the Hayabusa was shifted to the
fully fledged phase for the return cruise to Earth.

The operation is still challenging as we have to carefully monitor the
conditions of the only active reaction wheel, the ion engine, and
onboard equipment. We will operate the Hayabusa with the greatest
care and utmost effort.

Mission website:

* Asteroid Sample-return Spacecraft "Hayabusa"(MUSES-C)
http://www.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/muses_c/index_e.html