"Hubble's Variable nebula" - NGC 2261 - in Monoceros

Old October 8th 07, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ukastronomy

Default "Hubble's Variable nebula" - NGC 2261 - in Monoceros

I have just updated this page

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/hubble.htm

Old October 8th 07, 08:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Polakis

On Oct 8, 7:46 am, ukastronomy
wrote:
I have just updated this page

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/hubble.htm

Martin,

Great! Now you should string those three images of Hubble's Variable
Nebula together into an animated GIF, like this guy did in 1999.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412101...2261_1999.html

I wish somebody would monitor it at a one-week interval for an entire
season. Don't look at me.

Tom

Old October 8th 07, 09:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
josephus

ukastronomy wrote:

I have just updated this page

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/hubble.htm

the animations showed 10 or more variable stars. neat. I thought at
first it was a consequence of the process and variable images. but on
closer inspection that was not true.

josephus
--
I go sailing in the Summer and
look at STARS in the Winter.
Old October 8th 07, 10:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:58:59 -0500, josephus
wrote:

the animations showed 10 or more variable stars. neat. I thought at
first it was a consequence of the process and variable images. but on
closer inspection that was not true.

You can't use the first animation to determine if there are any
variables, since it is made up of frames collected through different
filters. The second animation has one obvious variable, but the other
changes appear correlated. I very much doubt that any of the other stars
in the image are sufficiently variable to be visually apparent.
Certainly, to determine if there are any variable, it would be necessary
to perform a proper photometric analysis on the original data- it isn't
possible to use the animated GIF for this purpose.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 13th 07, 12:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's cool Martin. Very cool!

ps.com...