"Kick Around" eyepiece

Old March 4th 06, 11:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default "Kick Around" eyepiece

This is the kind of eyepiece you can carry in your pocket and use
immediately.
I use this one in a permanently mounted (grab) 80mm f5 refractor. Its
made of an old military Plossl eyepiece and an adapter that was used
to convert the old 32 and 40mm UO Konigs from 2" to 1-1/4" barrels.
Since the coatings on the eye lens (typical of old military
gear) were not in the best of shape, if it gets dusty I can just wipe
it with whatever is handy.
No point in treating a new eyepiece like that.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/56809228
Old March 4th 06, 11:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Rich wrote:

This is the kind of eyepiece you can carry in your pocket and use
immediately.
I use this one in a permanently mounted (grab) 80mm f5 refractor. Its
made of an old military Plossl eyepiece and an adapter that was used
to convert the old 32 and 40mm UO Konigs from 2" to 1-1/4" barrels.
Since the coatings on the eye lens (typical of old military
gear) were not in the best of shape, if it gets dusty I can just wipe
it with whatever is handy.
No point in treating a new eyepiece like that.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/56809228

I trust you still use an end-cap rather than let lint from the eyepiece
into your scope.
Old March 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I don't use it in any scope other than the 80mm f5 and it has a prism
diagonal so
the lint (if any) has no way to get into the scope.

Old March 5th 06, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:18:45 -0500, Rich wrote:

This is the kind of eyepiece you can carry in your pocket and use
immediately.
I use this one in a permanently mounted (grab) 80mm f5 refractor. Its
made of an old military Plossl eyepiece and an adapter that was used
to convert the old 32 and 40mm UO Konigs from 2" to 1-1/4" barrels.
Since the coatings on the eye lens (typical of old military
gear) were not in the best of shape, if it gets dusty I can just wipe
it with whatever is handy.
No point in treating a new eyepiece like that.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/56809228

============
I have a 7-21 mm Scopetronics zoom that I keep in my telescope as a
"dust" cap... I use one end of a barrel EP case to cover it...

Heck I thik I paid under 50 bucks for it... not the greatest but sure
makes grab and go a little easier... Many a night I have not even
bothered to use any other eyepieces....

Bob G.

FOV and f ratio Matt St. Helens Amateur Astronomy 7 October 3rd 04 02:59 AM
AFOV (Apparent Field of View) Sean O'Dwyer Misc 4 July 7th 04 04:10 AM
AFOV Mike Thomas Amateur Astronomy 20 July 1st 04 04:59 PM
Bands of Saturn. How many of them can be counted (really!) with 7" scope? ValeryD Amateur Astronomy 294 January 26th 04 08:18 PM
*Review: Astrosystems 30mm WIDE SCAN III Eyepiece David Knisely Amateur Astronomy 6 August 8th 03 05:53 AM