ASTRO: Arp 75

Old November 23rd 11, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 75

Arp 75/NGC 702 is possibly an interacting pair of galaxies in central
Cetus about 465 million light-years distant. Arp put it in his category
for spirals with high surface brightness companions on the arms. As to
what constitutes his companion I'm not sure. At first I thought he
meant the very blue star cloud in the northern arm. But his comment
reads: "Very faint extension to companion." That would rule out the
blue object. About all that is left is the galaxy to the left, one and
a half minutes left. A small oval galaxy. The rather blue extension is
really a huge faint plume that envelops a much larger area than the
bright parts of the galaxy. It would seem just happenstance that this
other galaxy is within this large faint disk. NED shows the blue star
cloud like object well within the brighter portions of the galactic
tangle as having virtually the same redshift as the main galaxy. So it
is likely related. No redshift data is available for the one at the
eastern edge of the faint star plume, APMUKS(BJ) B014853.58-041809.1.
It likely lies far beyond or is a dwarf much closer. All speculation
without redshift data. It appears this is an interacting system, just
not the one Arp describes. The other galaxy may be the blue object or
maybe the double core some sources mention. Maybe its a triple system.
It does seem to have an odd dark lane to the west (right) of the
brightest core region and another parallel dust lane on the opposite
side of the double core that is somewhat further from the core. The
other "major" galaxy near Arp 75 is APMUKS(BJ) B014836.83-041711.8 to
the west. Again, no redshift data but I doubt it is related.

A note to the MCG catalog entry a few years prior to Arp's Atlas
describes this one rather colorfully as: "Remarkable interaction. The
form is similar to the lower part of the body of a bending man, who has
a sword between his legs (an elongated galaxy E). To the south is a
short spiral arm." A note at NED from a year later says: "Bright
complex lens with double nucleus. Faint outer whorls or (R): 1.75
arcmin x 1.55 arcmin. Probably an interacting system." NED and the NGC
project classify it as SB(s)bc Pec

The double core is very obvious in my image though burned in in Arp's
image. There appears to be a third orange something above the two
cores. Is it just a field star? A star knot? I have no idea.

There's not much data on the rest of the field. Only three other
galaxies have redshift data. They are all above Arp 75. Right to left
they are the flying saucer like edge on with dust lane, MCG -01-05-040
at 233 million light-years; the small disk galaxy to its upper left,
LEDA 144362 at 548 million light-years and LEDA 144374 further left, a
bit left of center-line and just below an orange-white double star, is
623 million light-years away. Only MCG -01-05-040 has a
classification. It is listed as SB(r)0+ Pec? I don't know what feature
gives it the peculiar tag.

Arp's image:
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/A...big_arp75.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB=2x10x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Besides the full image at 1" per pixel I've included a cropped
enlargement at 0.67" per pixel and an SDSS image of this galaxy at the
same scale.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP075L4X10RGB2X10X3R.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	3825  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP075L4X10RGB2X10X3R-CROP150.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	3826  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_ARP75.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	3827
Old December 3rd 11, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I like the colours in this unusually shaped galaxy.

Stefan

.com...