Boeing Delta IV Heavy Achieves Major Test Objectives in First Flight

Old December 22nd 04, 08:25 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Boeing Delta IV Heavy Achieves Major Test Objectives in First Flight

Boeing Delta IV Heavy Achieves Major Test Objectives in First Flight

ST. LOUIS, Dec. 22, 2004 - The Boeing [NYSE: BA] Delta IV Heavy made its
first flight today achieving the major test objectives despite placing its
demonstration satellite in a lower than expected orbit.
The Delta IV Heavy lifted off from Space Launch Complex 37B, Cape Canaveral
Air Force Station, Fla., at 4:50 p.m. EST, on a demonstration launch for the
Air Force's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) program. The
demonstration satellite was deployed following a 5-hour and 50-minute
flight.
"The EELV program and Boeing invested in today's demonstration launch to
ensure that the Delta IV Heavy, the only EELV Heavy variant available, is
ready to launch our nation's most important national security payloads into
space," said Dan Collins, vice president of Boeing Expendable Launch
Systems. "While the demonstration satellite did not reach its intended
orbit, we now have enough information and confidence in the Delta IV Heavy
to move forward with preparations for the upcoming Defense Support Program
launch in 2005."
A preliminary review of the data indicates that a shorter than expected
first-stage burn led to the low orbit. However, according to the Air Force
EELV program office, the primary flight objectives were accomplished in
today's all-up test of the new launch vehicle. The heavy boost phase, the
new five-meter upper stage and five-meter payload fairing, extended coast,
upper stage third burn and payload separation, and activation and usage of
Space Launch Complex 37B for a Heavy launch were all successfully
demonstrated.
"I want to thank our entire Delta team, including our government and
industry partners," Collins said. "Their efforts, hard work and focus have
once again moved our industry forward. We have a very happy and confident
customer, thanks to all the hard work put in by this team."
A unit of The Boeing Company, Boeing Integrated Defense Systems is one of
the world's largest space and defense businesses. Headquartered in St.
Louis, Boeing Integrated Defense Systems is a $27 billion business. It
provides network-centric system solutions to its global military,
government, and commercial customers. It is a leading provider of
intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems; the world's largest
military aircraft manufacturer; the world's largest satellite manufacturer
and a leading provider of space-based communications; the primary systems
integrator for U.S. missile defense and Department of Homeland Security;
NASA's largest contractor; and a global leader in launch services.
###
Contacts:
Robert Villanueva
Boeing Expendable Launch Systems