Apply shuttle ET foam in a vacuum.

Old August 1st 05, 09:33 AM
George William Herbert

John Steinberg wrote:
Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
Yes. Launch the shuttle first and *then* apply the foam.

FYI:
http://facilities.grc.nasa.gov/spf/

I've just done some very quick scratch figuring and the real answer
isn't better foam application but rather a better ablative material.

Turns out my materials science manual has the answer on page 831.

Duct tape.

Alas, you neglect the OTHER reason there's foam on the
external tank.

Lots of stuff is ablative to resist heat loads on ascent.
If that was all there was to it, there'd be a think spray on layer
of fiberglass or something there.

The pre-launch reason to have foam there is to prevent ice buildup
on the outside of the tank. Because, if you think foam shedding is
bad for Shuttle Tiles and RCC leading edge sections, you should
see what ten pounds of nice solid liquid-hydrogen subchilled
water ice will do to any surface of the shuttle...

Foam on the outside does both jobs. Foam on the inside of the tanks
would help prevent water ice buildup on the outside, but not help
with ascent heating. External ablative shielding plus internal
foam would do both better than we get right now, but would be
heavier.

And any solution involving internal insulation will require
testing and safety validation.

-george william herbert
/

Old August 1st 05, 05:19 PM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
Dr. P. Quackenbush wrote:

You forgot the probable need ...

^^^^^^^^
Before you respond, please show you've done the
math.

No, I will not do your homework, Dr.

Um, your idea, YOUR homework. My job is not to prove your ideas will work
or not. You bring it to the table, you prove it can work. Those are the
rules of life.

Old August 1st 05, 05:48 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

George William Herbert wrote:
The pre-launch reason to have foam there is to prevent ice buildup
on the outside of the tank. Because, if you think foam shedding is
bad for Shuttle Tiles and RCC leading edge sections, you should
see what ten pounds of nice solid liquid-hydrogen subchilled
water ice will do to any surface of the shuttle...

Foam on the outside does both jobs. Foam on the inside of the tanks
would help prevent water ice buildup on the outside, but not help
with ascent heating. External ablative shielding plus internal
foam would do both better than we get right now, but would be
heavier.

Even better would be to put the actual space vehicle in a position where
falling objects will not hit it. That means on the top and not on the side,
under or whatever.

--
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old August 1st 05, 08:05 PM
Jim Hewitt

"John Steinberg" wrote in message

Sometimes even rocket science isn't rocket science.

Oh! I love this one. Might I be able to quote this from you in my sig
line?

Thanks!

Jim

Old August 1st 05, 08:27 PM
Derek Lyons

"Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote:
Even better would be to put the actual space vehicle in a position where
falling objects will not hit it. That means on the top and not on the side,
under or whatever.

Which doesn't protect the booster from the spacecraft. CIP Skylab I.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 1st 05, 08:36 PM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

How close can you get to the SRB without frying at liftoff? Hypothetically
how close could you get to the SRB in space. How much wood can a woodchuck
chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? huh? took my meds today too

prevents heat transfer. It's not

Old August 1st 05, 09:37 PM
Kathy Rages

alex pozgaj wrote:
Roy Smith writes:

1) It's too tight.

2) It's too loose.

It therefore follows that a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 should be
able to fix most problems.

Is that original? I'd love to use it in my sig!

Well, this is already in my cookie file.

You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

--
Kathy Rages
Old August 1st 05, 10:09 PM
Jim Davis

Kathy Rages wrote:

You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

Of course, for women substitute Pam for WD-40.

Jim Davis