earth tilt to 45 deg?

Old December 19th 18, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default earth tilt to 45 deg?

StarDust wrote in
:

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

The amount of energy involved to cause that would vaporize the planet
and everything on it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old December 19th 18, 10:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Old December 19th 18, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:34:46 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg suddenly or in a short period of time?
Would we survive?

Humans are as adaptable as rats and cockroaches. But I imagine a few
billion would die, and all our civilization and social structures
would collapse.

(It is likely that our Moon is what has kept the tilt of the Earth's
axis so stable. Mars, for instance, has seen much wider swings.)
Old December 20th 18, 12:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:34:50 PM UTC, StarDust wrote:
What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg suddenly or in a short period of time?
Would we survive?

How sweet but then again you have to discover a planetary climate spectrum between a Polar climate (0 degree inclination to the orbital plane) and an Equatorial climate (90 degree inclination to the orbital plane much like Jupiter -

http://calgary.rasc.ca/images/planet_inclinations.gif

It means the Arctic circle would extend down to roughly the latitude of Portland Maine whereas presently it is way North -

https://jsis.washington.edu/archive/...datreeline.jpg

All the traits that belong within the Arctic circle would extend downwards to lower latitudes with increasing asymmetries of daylight/darkness and temperature fluctuations as greater surface areas defined by latitudes experience great swings between warm and cold across half an orbit. A polar climate doesn't necessarily means a colder climate as opposed to an equatorial climate, it represents the rate of change in surface conditions across half or a full orbit of any planet.

Of course the orbital proposal which predates De Revolutionibus allows for this climate spectrum for what is called axial precession is really the normal annual increase and decrease in surface areas, expressed as a circumference, where the Sun is in view or out of sight as a function of an orbital surface rotation -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_...recession..svg

The arrow is facing the wrong direction and the entire surface turns parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the forward motion of the Earth through space but unfortunately the system Copernicus used when correctly identifying this motion was based on Ptolemy's framework where the Sun moves through the constellations and not on the older but more accurate perspective where the background stars come in season.

Axial precession is really a distinct surface rotation so that happens across an orbit hence the easy means to explain the Polar day/night cycle with Polar noon at the South Pole in a few days -

https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Old December 20th 18, 12:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

StarDust wrote in
:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:48:37 PM UTC-8, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

The amount of energy involved to cause that would vaporize the
planet and everything on it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Don't see why would our planet vaporise?

Says more about you and your (lack of) understanding of fairly
basic physics.

Let's say a large asteroid would hit our Moon, knocking it out
of orbit or much farther away, so earth would wobble more?

An asteroid big enough (or fast enough) to have enough energy the
moon out of its orbit wouldn't knock the moon out of its orbit, it
would shatter it, and turn a great deal of it into plasma.

And that wouldn't be nearly enough energy to alter the Earth's tilt
that much.

Old December 20th 18, 12:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

StarDust wrote in
:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-8, Chris L
Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:34:46 -0800 (PST),

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

Humans are as adaptable as rats and cockroaches. But I imagine
a few billion would die, and all our civilization and social
structures would collapse.

(It is likely that our Moon is what has kept the tilt of the
Earth's axis so stable. Mars, for instance, has seen much wider
swings.)

Well, 500 years ago, earth's population was around 500 million,
now 7 billion! 200 years ago , industrialization caused the
exponential population growth! Going back to 1/2 billion would
be a normal thing, I think!

As llong as you're among the first to die, I'm all for it.

Old December 20th 18, 12:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:34:46 -0800 (PST),

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

Humans are as adaptable as rats and cockroaches. But I imagine
a few billion would die, and all our civilization and social
structures would collapse.

(It is likely that our Moon is what has kept the tilt of the
Earth's axis so stable. Mars, for instance, has seen much
wider swings.)

Well, 500 years ago, earth's population was around 500 million,
now 7 billion! 200 years ago , industrialization caused the
exponential population growth! Going back to 1/2 billion would
be a normal thing, I think!

I'm all for a reduction of the human population back down to a
billion or less.

You volunteering to go first?

We could use less people named Chris (who are, as we all know,
genetically defective in the intellect department).

Old December 20th 18, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:34:46 -0800 (PST),

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg suddenly or in a short period of time?
Would we survive?

Humans are as adaptable as rats and cockroaches. But I imagine a few
billion would die, and all our civilization and social structures
would collapse.

(It is likely that our Moon is what has kept the tilt of the Earth's
axis so stable. Mars, for instance, has seen much wider swings.)

Well, 500 years ago, earth's population was around 500 million, now 7 billion!
200 years ago , industrialization caused the exponential population growth!
Going back to 1/2 billion would be a normal thing, I think!

I'm all for a reduction of the human population back down to a billion
or less. But ideally by attrition, not cataclysm. And the whole
collapse of civilization thing would be nice to avoid!

(This is likely to happen in any case, but by our own making, not some
mysterious adjustment of Earth's axis.)

earth's tilt RichD Amateur Astronomy 63 September 25th 12 08:10 PM
Why does Earth's tilt produce summers and winters? AlexZ Astronomy Misc 66 November 9th 06 06:15 AM
Direction of the Earth's axis tilt in the x-y ecliptic plane? canopus56 Amateur Astronomy 35 March 22nd 06 11:00 PM
why does tilt of earth not change relative to sun? DarkMotion Misc 4 February 27th 06 12:27 AM
sundial & Earth's tilt questions Benoit Morrissette Astronomy Misc 22 September 1st 03 08:55 AM