Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

Old December 10th 10, 11:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Default Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

Old December 10th 10, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 10/12/2010 9:07 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

Nothing there to suggest faulty maths. The orbit estimation they're
referring to relates to the trajectory it is now following. More likely
some technical malfunction during the burn.

Sylvia.
Old December 10th 10, 04:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Pat

Old December 11th 10, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 11/12/2010 2:18 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Pat

Fair's fair - they were hampered by using a system of units developed in
the dark ages.

Sylvia.
Old December 11th 10, 06:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

That's what the most recent reports suggest: propellants transitioned
to oxidizer rich, damaging the engine nozzle, and threw the spacecraft
off balance. Possibly a problem with helium pressurization, similar
to problems with the Nozumi Mars probe.

At any rate, it's looking more and more like the main Venus mission is
lost because the propulsion system is nearly useless.

--Damon

Old December 16th 10, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Dan Birchall wrote:

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

No correlation with the fact that "rocket science" is a popular synonym
for "hard to do". ;^)
Old December 19th 10, 07:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 16, 7:26*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
Dan Birchall wrote:

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

No correlation with the fact that "rocket science" is a popular synonym
for "hard to do". *;^)

We have multiple spendy public-funded supercomputers including all the
necessary 3D interactive simulators, so it it actually is fairly easy.

We also have overwhelmingly powerful microwave transmitters that can
pretty much foil any probe at the push of a button.

~ BG