Arp Peculiar Galaxy Catalogue too faint for amateurs?

Old November 21st 05, 01:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Arp Peculiar Galaxy Catalogue too faint for amateurs?

I have been looking at Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies Catalogue and
was considering adding it to my observing list. But I note that while
Clark's catalogue cuts-off the galaxies at around mag 12-13, Arp's
Catalgoue, which is based on plates from the Palomar Schmidt telescope
sky survey, drops down to mags 14-15 for typical 1 x 2 arcmin galaxies.

With a 10" is this too faint and should I not bother with it? Would
long-exposure astrophotograhy bring them within reach?

- Canopus56

Arp's Atlas
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Arp/frames.html

Old November 21st 05, 01:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 20 Nov 2005 17:26:31 -0800, "canopus56" wrote:

I have been looking at Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies Catalogue and
was considering adding it to my observing list. But I note that while
Clark's catalogue cuts-off the galaxies at around mag 12-13, Arp's
Catalgoue, which is based on plates from the Palomar Schmidt telescope
sky survey, drops down to mags 14-15 for typical 1 x 2 arcmin galaxies.

With a 10" is this too faint and should I not bother with it? Would
long-exposure astrophotograhy bring them within reach?

I can't comment on how suitable these objects are for visual observers,
but all are readily accessible to imagers with typical amateur equipment
(e.g. 10" scopes and cooled CCD cameras).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 21st 05, 01:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Kurt (canopus56) wrote:
I have been looking at Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies Catalogue and
was considering adding it to my observing list. But I note that while
Clark's catalogue cuts-off the galaxies at around mag 12-13, Arp's
Catalgoue, which is based on plates from the Palomar Schmidt telescope
sky survey, drops down to mags 14-15 for typical 1 x 2 arcmin galaxies.

With a 10" is this too faint and should I not bother with it? Would
long-exposure astrophotograhy bring them within reach?

A ten-inch scope from dark skies should be able to reveal a 14th-
magnitude galaxy, so long as its surface brightness isn't too low (and
a size of a couple of square arcminutes suggests that it probably
wouldn't be). I'm pretty sure I've seen some like that in my ten-inch.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old November 21st 05, 03:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Brian Tung wrote:
Kurt (canopus56) wrote:
Arp's Catalgoue, which is based on plates from the Palomar Schmidt telescope
sky survey, drops down to mags 14-15 for typical 1 x 2 arcmin galaxies.

snip
Thanks to both you and Chris.

Old November 22nd 05, 03:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Long time exposures will bring almost anything within reach, if you expose long
enough and if your tracking holds up.

I'm not sure a 10-inch is too small to tackle these galaxies, however. Of
course you need to optimize everything in order to get some successes, but I
think you should try and observe them.

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by