Internet on the ISS?

Old August 23rd 05, 03:13 AM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

Default Internet on the ISS?

"rk" wrote in message

Here's an idea: why doesn't NASA put a network in the sky, with each

orbiter,
rover, space-borne telescope, and any other skyward-launched device

working as
a node? Why not internetwork space? In fact, why not use the existing
Internet?

The commercial internet is porous, insecure, and easy to take down. NASA
should be using whatever secure mechanisms are used by our military.

Old August 23rd 05, 04:29 AM
OM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:26:48 -0500, rk
wrote:

In fact, why not use the existing Internet?

....Because Brad Guth and/or Wbua Znkfba would find a way to spread
their bull**** over it?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 23rd 05, 03:59 PM
Ami Silberman

"Dr. P. Quackenbush" wrote in message
news

"rk" wrote in message

Here's an idea: why doesn't NASA put a network in the sky, with each

orbiter,
rover, space-borne telescope, and any other skyward-launched device

working as
a node? Why not internetwork space? In fact, why not use the existing
Internet?

The commercial internet is porous, insecure, and easy to take down. NASA
should be using whatever secure mechanisms are used by our military.

Which, except on (some) tactical radio networks, is essentially using
internet protocols. Just because you use internet protocols doesn't mean
that you have to be on the internet. You might also look up the SIPRNET
(Secret) and NIPRNET (Sensitive but Unclassified) nets, which are based on
router protocols to tunnel through the commercial internet.

The real problems with using internet protocols out of the box is that they
are not set up for SATCOM, much less deep space communications. TCP, for
example, starts out with small packets and short time outs to wait for
acknowledgements.

Old August 23rd 05, 06:03 PM
Derek Lyons

"Dr. P. Quackenbush" wrote:

The commercial internet is porous, insecure, and easy to take down. NASA
should be using whatever secure mechanisms are used by our military.

The military doesn't, by-and-large, have all that much remote control
stuff.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 23rd 05, 06:45 PM
Brian Gaff

Well, its already there, as I noted that the comment, John goes out of his
way to ring colleagues on the IP phone when he can.

So, If they have Internet protocol phones, I'd assume they could ring
anywhere, as long as they can get out of the Intranet at Nasa, and out onto
the Internet?

Brian

Email:

Old August 24th 05, 05:18 AM

Well, its already there, as I noted that the comment, John goes out of his
way to ring colleagues on the IP phone when he can.

Wait, am I reading this right? They're using VOIP phones on ISS? I'm
not surpised, just... surprised.

Can you imagine... crank calls to ISS? "Do you have Prince Albert in a
can?"

frank

Old August 24th 05, 06:09 AM
OM

On 23 Aug 2005 21:18:38 -0700, wrote:

"Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

"...As a matter of fact, we do. ESA sent him up in one of the U-Haul
modules, and he's now docked outside on the LDEF rack. Would you like
me to patch you through to him?"

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 24th 05, 04:18 PM
Ami Silberman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, its already there, as I noted that the comment, John goes out of
his
way to ring colleagues on the IP phone when he can.

Wait, am I reading this right? They're using VOIP phones on ISS? I'm
not surpised, just... surprised.

Are these for internal use exclusively (as an intercom system)?

Old August 24th 05, 04:42 PM
J. Porter Clark

"Ami Silberman" writes:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Well, its already there, as I noted that the comment, John goes out of
his
way to ring colleagues on the IP phone when he can.

Wait, am I reading this right? They're using VOIP phones on ISS? I'm
not surpised, just... surprised.

Are these for internal use exclusively (as an intercom system)?

No.

They use VOIP through the OCA. It's not a "VOIP phone" as such.
I think they're still using the configuration shown here, just
replace ISS for Shuttle:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk65...800b53b6.shtml

The audio system, which does implement the intercom function, is
digital but does not use VOIP.

The last I heard, the TCP/IP capability on ISS does not allow
the crew to surf the web. The crew desires this capability,
of course, but it is thought to be too risky. Of course, they
might have changed the rules a week ago Thursday and not told
me.

--
J. Porter Clark
Old August 24th 05, 06:42 PM
OM

On 24 Aug 2005 10:02:14 -0700, wrote:

Or just that some astronaut's going to embarrass the agency by running up charges at
rumprangers.com?

....Nah, they're more afraid that they'll get caught surfing NASA
Watch, and Keith'll be crowing about it for the next year :-)

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m