ACS Anomaly and Extension of HST Cycle 16 Deadline

Old January 30th 07, 05:51 AM posted to sci.astro.hubble
[email protected]

Default ACS Anomaly and Extension of HST Cycle 16 Deadline

HST entered inertial safe mode on Saturday January 27. Preliminary
indications are that this event was associated with an ACS anomaly.
GSFC and STScI engineers and scientists are still investigating the
situation, but it appears unlikely that ACS CCD observations (both
WFC and HRC) will be available in Cycle 16. Current indications are
that ACS/SBC can be restored using operational workarounds, so
observers should assume that the ACS/SBC configuration will be available
in Cycle 16.

The formal Cycle 16 deadline was 8 pm EST on Friday Jan 26. We
received a total of 747 proposals, including 498 to use ACS/WFC or ACS/HRC.
The latter proposals are unlikely to be viable. In order to ensure that we
accommodate the science areas covered by those programs, we are extending
the HST Cycle 16 deadline.

We encourage Principal Investigators who submitted proposals for ACS
observations with either WFC or HRC to consider whether those observations
could be made with WFPC2. For clarity, revised ACS proposals must be
submitted with a different proposal ID number. To do this:

- Make a copy of your original proposal
- Load the proposal into APT
- Go to the Submission Tool and hit the "Clear ID" button

PIs of programs that use NICMOS, WFPC2 or FGS as prime instruments can also
take this opportunity to revise their proposals (in particular, removing
ACS/WFC or ACS/HRC parallels), although this is not essential. Revised
versions of those proposals must be submitted using the same proposal ID.

We will also accept new proposals to use NICMOS, WFPC2 and FGS, and new
archive or theory proposals.

THE NEW HST CYCLE 16 PROPOSAL DEADLINE IS 8 pm EST ON
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2007

THE SPITZER SPACE TELESCOPE CYCLE 4 DEADLINE HAS BEEN MOVED
TO 8 PM EST ON FRIDAY FEBRUARY 16, 2007

In the meantime, we anticipate resuming science observations with WFPC2,
NICMOS and FGS later this week. In addition to implementing existing Cycle
15 programs with those instruments, we have activated the backup proposals
that were accepted late last year after TAC review. We will also review
Cycle 15 ACS proposals and, working in consultation with the Principal
Investigators, determine whether those programs can be rescheduled using
WFPC2.

We will keep the community informed as more information becomes available.