Ancient Greek Solar System Diagrams

Old May 14th 05, 02:35 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Ancient Greek Solar System Diagrams

Hi,

I'm looking for any ancient diagrams in Greek which are similar to the
following diagram.

http://www.elroysemporium.com/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

I'm interested to look at ones that use the Greek names for the
planets instead of the Latin or Roman names.

Are there some that show IOVIS/JOVE as Zeus, and Mercury as
Hermes, and Venus as Aphrodite, etc?

I Googled around for a good half hour and couldn't find any. Does
anybody have some links to share?

--
Elroy Willis
www.elroysemporium.com
Old May 14th 05, 09:12 PM
Odysseus

Elroy Willis wrote:

I'm looking for any ancient diagrams in Greek which are similar to the
following diagram.

http://www.elroysemporium.com/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

I'm interested to look at ones that use the Greek names for the
planets instead of the Latin or Roman names.

Are there some that show IOVIS/JOVE as Zeus, and Mercury as
Hermes, and Venus as Aphrodite, etc?

I doubt you'll find any ancient ones. Very few originals, or even
direct copies, of classical or Hellenistic Greek scientific works (or
proto-scientific, if you prefer) exist; almost all have come down to
us through Arabic translations. You might find some such diagrams in
Greek manuscripts from the early-mediaeval or Byzantine periods, but
many of those will have derived from Arabic versions as well.

I'm told that the modern Greek names for the planets are indeed those
of the classical gods corresponding to the Latin names used in
English and most other European languages, if that's what you're
hoping to ascertain.

--
Odysseus
Old May 15th 05, 12:49 PM
Elroy Willis

Odysseus wrote in alt.astronomy

Elroy Willis wrote:

I'm looking for any ancient diagrams in Greek which are similar to the
following diagram.

http://www.elroysemporium.com/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

I'm interested to look at ones that use the Greek names for the
planets instead of the Latin or Roman names.

Are there some that show IOVIS/JOVE as Zeus, and Mercury as
Hermes, and Venus as Aphrodite, etc?

I doubt you'll find any ancient ones. Very few originals, or even
direct copies, of classical or Hellenistic Greek scientific works (or
proto-scientific, if you prefer) exist; almost all have come down to
us through Arabic translations. You might find some such diagrams in
Greek manuscripts from the early-mediaeval or Byzantine periods, but
many of those will have derived from Arabic versions as well.

I thought there might be some ancient original stone tablets or some
type of untranslated artifacts that have been found, but I've never
seen any.

I'm told that the modern Greek names for the planets are indeed those
of the classical gods corresponding to the Latin names used in
English and most other European languages, if that's what you're
hoping to ascertain.

I was looking to go back further than that, to find diagrams or
artifacts where Jupiter is called Zeus, Saturn is called Chronos, etc.

--
Elroy Willis
www.elroysemporium.com
Old May 15th 05, 08:24 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Elroy Willis wrote:

[...]

So Elroy you're the one that potentially ran off with some of
the 1947 area 51 saucer remnants that Princess Darla told us about. Ha,
ha, ha, just kidding and yes, those valuable stone tablets long Star
Race shown and passed down to the ancients. The reported Darla long ago
shot down and captured Star Race crew may have been US recovered but
entire broken up, scattered, always carried on board, solar system stone
tablets never fully found. Hmmmmm, no wonder you're trying to get
newsgroup and google info on them, there secretly isn't any, because
remember they were suppose to be high atmospheric weather balloons? We
now know better because Princess Darla has clue filled us in. If you do
however ever find any pics or possible diagram remains post link us to
them and maybe we can help decipher them including with the help of our
Princess Darla when she returns.

carry on,
the nightbat
Old May 15th 05, 10:47 PM
Elroy Willis

nightbat wrote in alt.astronomy

So Elroy you're the one that potentially ran off with some of
the 1947 area 51 saucer remnants that Princess Darla told us about. Ha,
ha, ha, just kidding and yes, those valuable stone tablets long Star
Race shown and passed down to the ancients. The reported Darla long ago
shot down and captured Star Race crew may have been US recovered but
entire broken up, scattered, always carried on board, solar system stone
tablets never fully found. Hmmmmm, no wonder you're trying to get
newsgroup and google info on them, there secretly isn't any, because
remember they were suppose to be high atmospheric weather balloons? We
now know better because Princess Darla has clue filled us in. If you do
however ever find any pics or possible diagram remains post link us to
them and maybe we can help decipher them including with the help of our
Princess Darla when she returns.

What are you smoking over there? Dare I want some of it?

BTW, I did find some pictures of coins this morning that depict Zeus
in Greek, and he's called "Dios" and the D is a triangle delta
character and the S is a sort of lightning bolt looking character,
not a Sigma character, but it's still recognizable.

I also discovered that the Spanish word "adios" means "To Dios"
or "To Zeus" as such, as well as meaning "goodbye" which I found
interesting...

Vaya con Dios means "Go with Zeus" as well...

And Dios was a shining father in the sky we now call Jupiter,
or Jove.

By Jove, they all tie back to a shiny planet!

--
Elroy Willis
www.elroysemporium.com

How important is GR inorder to calc the precession of Mercury (banned reply) greywolf42 Astronomy Misc 7 November 20th 04 12:23 AM
Greek Diagrams of our Solar System Elroy Willis Misc 4 September 23rd 04 12:26 PM
Sedna (2003 VB12) Ron Astronomy Misc 1 March 19th 04 12:44 PM
Incontrovertible Evidence Cash Amateur Astronomy 6 August 24th 03 07:22 PM
ESA Sees Stardust Storms Heading For Solar System Ron Baalke Science 0 August 20th 03 08:10 PM