Artemis 3 Mission in 2024

Old March 4th 20, 11:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Artemis 3 Mission in 2024

In article ,
says...

Tsk tsk tsk.

Pages on pages of warbling about an imagined "lack of progress" shows that not one of you has bothered to do some cursory research on this subject.

The suits are being built under the xEMU program, scheduled for a demonstration flight on the ISS within the next few years and demonstrated.[1] They have been under development for several years now.

All components of the SLS supply chain have been or are in the process of being contracted for roughly a decade of flights.[2] Replacements for Shuttle-era equipment have been under development for several years now, and will be phased-in as the left-over stock is depleted.[2] The SSME replacements (the RS-25E) are being designed to utilize more efficient manufacturing techniques to reduce cost,[3] and the SRB replacements (BOLE) are being designed using common

technology with Northrop Grumman's upcoming OmegA launch vehicle, including new lightweight composite SRB casings.[4]

It's kind of baffling that

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVeNY4HdNM
[2] https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceLaunch...ls_production/ (easier to link this than link each individually)
[3] https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...ine-rs-25-run/
[4] https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...0190002126.pdf

Nice propaganda pieces, but you forgot about this article:

SLS debut slips to April 2021, KSC teams working through launch sims
written by Chris Gebhardt February 21, 2020
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...021-ksc-teams-
launch-sims/

So, in late February, SLS had slipped to April 2021 (early-mid 2021).

No wait, late breaking news... another article from just a few days
later!

JURCZYK: ARTEMIS I TO LAUNCH IN MID-LATE 2021, HLS CONTRACTS WITHIN
WEEKS, By Marcia Smith - Posted: March 1, 2020
https://spacepolicyonline.com/news/j...launch-in-mid-
late-2021-hls-contracts-within-weeks/

Here is a quote from the above article from just a few days ago:

NASA Associate Administrator Steve Jurczyk said on Friday that
the first launch of the Space Launch System (SLS) with an
uncrewed Orion spacecraft, Artemis I, will take place in
mid-late 2021.

Note the above isn't idle speculation by us here or by the space news
media. That's an official NASA statement from NASA Associate
Administrator Steve Jurczyk.

At the rate the first SLS launch is slipping, I'll be genuinely
surprised if it launches in 2021, if at all.

Jeff
Old March 4th 20, 11:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

[...]

Accidentally hit post too early. Was going to cap it off by saying, "It's kind of baffling that these misconceptions went uncorrected for so long."

Well, the unfortunate reality is that the first launch date for SLS
keeps on slipping into the future. I provided links to a couple of
articles that show recent slippage (late February and early March of
this year).

Jeff

Old March 4th 20, 02:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

I didn't know a launch date slipping and having long-term production contracts were mutually exclusive properties, or, as you say, a "propaganda piece.."

Also, you do realize that the first SLS is physically done now, right?[1] The delay that you felt the need to post 5 articles on is due to a testing campaign to be conducted at Stennis Space Center, after which it will be shipped to KSC for stacking.[2] If you're betting it'll never launch, you're betting on the wrong horse.

Again: I never said it wasn't late. I said it has long-term production contracts for roughly a decade of flights currently inked or being negotiated, such as a contract with Boeing for 10-12 SLS cores.[3][4] To quote:

"NASA has awarded Boeing a contract to provide 10 new core stages for its Space Launch System (SLS). The agreement also includes a provision for up to eight Exploration Upper Stages for Artemis missions three through 12, along with the option of an additional 10 core stages further down the track."

The terms of the contract are currently under negotiation, but are expected to be completed by the end of the year.

[1] https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sys...sus-barge.html
[2] https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ng-first-test/
[3] https://newatlas.com/space/boeing-10...s-artemis-sls/
[4] https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ls-production/