...Nuclear MELTDOWN in Japan, is US Threatened???

Old March 14th 11, 03:40 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Akira Bergman

Default ...Nuclear MELTDOWN in Japan, is US Threatened???

On Mar 14, 2:25*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:49*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.

Sylvia.

plants werent built to survive much more than a 7.1 since larger
earthquakes are very rare, and the plants would cost ar more.

news now reports 2 reactors exploded and 6 are in trouble.

if the core melts down completely does anyone really know what will
happen?

It sinks until it reaches the water table, violently reacts and spews
toxic vapor out.
..
Old March 14th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Akira Bergman

On Mar 14, 2:39*pm, WarrenC wrote:
On Mar 14, 11:25*am, bob haller wrote:

On Mar 13, 10:49*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.

Sylvia.

plants werent built to survive much more than a 7.1 since larger
earthquakes are very rare, and the plants would cost ar more.

news now reports 2 reactors exploded and 6 are in trouble.

if the core melts down completely does anyone really know what will
happen?

I think there are no more problems. In Chernobyl, the core is
operational when it explodes. In Japan, the control rods were lowered
that controls and stopped the nuclear reactions, so it's not getting
hot anymore and I think what they are doing are simply lowering the
temperature that occured before it shuts off. So there may not be in
danger anymore.. unless the control rods fail to lower down? The
control rods absorb neutrons from the uranium.

During a real meltdown, the nuclear reaction continues and the uranium
becomes molten and bore thru the 6 inches of stainless steel and if it
bore thru the cement floor, it can get underneath the facility and
when it reacts with water, it can contaminate the surrounding, even if
it didn't get out of the cement floor, if it explodes inside the air
contamination can also get out.

But the problem in japan seems to be minor now because the nuclear
reactions are no longer occuring and it is only the prior temperature
of the reactor that is being lowered, right?

Btw... how many miles in outer space before leaking nuclear fuels are
no longer in danger of reaching the earth?

Apparently the core containers are damaged. This is why they admitted
partial meltdown. I don't think the control rods are functioning
properly.
Old March 14th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Akira Bergman

On Mar 14, 2:40*pm, Akira Bergman wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:25*pm, bob haller wrote:

On Mar 13, 10:49*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.

Sylvia.

plants werent built to survive much more than a 7.1 since larger
earthquakes are very rare, and the plants would cost ar more.

news now reports 2 reactors exploded and 6 are in trouble.

if the core melts down completely does anyone really know what will
happen?

It sinks until it reaches the water table, violently reacts and spews
toxic vapor out.
.

The water table is also destroyed rendering a large area
uninhabitable.
..
Old March 14th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 14/03/2011 2:25 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:49 pm, Sylvia wrote:
I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.

Sylvia.

plants werent built to survive much more than a 7.1 since larger
earthquakes are very rare, and the plants would cost ar more.

The containment vessels and reactor cores seemed to have survived the
earthquake without difficulty, with only the failure of the backup
generators creating the issue we now see.

news now reports 2 reactors exploded and 6 are in trouble.

There have been what are reported as hydrogen explosions at two plants.
These were not inside the containment building and it's wrong to say
that the reactors have exploded.

Sylvia.
Old March 14th 11, 04:15 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
WarrenC

On Mar 14, 11:43*am, Akira Bergman wrote:
[...]

properly.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think the core containers are damaged. Where did you hear it?
Also the control rods are functionining property. This seem to be what
this nuclear expert Fred Mccall is convincing us. That there is
nothing to be concerned about. The Japanese are just lowering the
temperature which existed prior to the Earthquake. It is no longer
producing new heat because the neclear reactions are already off when
the control rods are lowered. You were just speculating the control
rod didn't function property. We assume they are. If not, then it's
going to be a problem because the nuclear reactions can generate new
heat... but this is unlikely. Control rods are lowered by simple
actuator machine which seldom fail especially in mil spec
configuration used in nuclear power plants.

Old March 14th 11, 04:24 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Akira Bergman

On Mar 14, 3:15*pm, WarrenC wrote:
[...]

http://www.peepsplace.com/showthread.php?t=304078
..
Old March 14th 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
WarrenC

On Mar 14, 12:24*pm, Akira Bergman wrote:
[...]

I wonder if we are dealing with "decay heat" which occurs after the
core is already shut down. "decay heat" is thus:

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown

The fuel assemblies in a reactor core can melt if heat is not removed.
A nuclear reactor does not have to remain critical for a core damage
incident to occur, because decay heat continues to heat the reactor
fuel assemblies after the reactor has shut down, though this heat
decreases with time".

Now question, are we dealing with just previous heat and decay heat
with no longer any live nuclear reactions taking place? Have all the
control rods successfully lowered down? How many days based on your
calculations before the heat can become controlled if they are just
decay heat and previous heat?
Old March 14th 11, 04:56 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Akira Bergman

On Mar 14, 3:46*pm, WarrenC wrote:
[...]

I am no expert, just informed to a level. Many establishment experts
are hiding vital information and denying others opinions.

I do not think the situation of the control rods is known fully. As I
understand, rods and the water cooling work in some kind of
combination. Since the water cooling is damaged, the control rods may
not be enough to stabilize the temperature.
Old March 14th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Androcles[_40_]

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
|I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
| tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
| between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
| should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.
|
| Sylvia.

Most people have 20-20 hindsight. Build a 30 foot sea wall and
a 40 foot tsunami comes along. Who'd a thought it? Not me, not
you, not the Japanese. It's also called Monday Morning Football.
The quarterback should not have been sacked and the referee was blind.

Old March 14th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.arts.poems,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.physics
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 14/03/2011 4:01 PM, Androcles wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message
|I can't help feeling that given that Japan is frequently the subject of
| tsunamis (even if not usually this bad), and that there is a clear link
| between tsunamis and earthquakes, the nuclear plant backup generators
| should have been in a place that is hardened so as to resist a tsunami.
|
| Sylvia.

Most people have 20-20 hindsight. Build a 30 foot sea wall and
a 40 foot tsunami comes along. Who'd a thought it? Not me, not
you, not the Japanese. It's also called Monday Morning Football.
The quarterback should not have been sacked and the referee was blind.

Is this just hindsight? Had *any* steps been taken in respect of
protection from tsunamis?

Sylvia.