sharpest lunar images request

Old July 20th 05, 05:53 PM
Bill Peterson

Default sharpest lunar images request

As part of a personal study, I'm looking for amateur images of the moon
showing maximum sharpness. My understanding is that some webcams and higher
order cameras are producing this type of imagery now, but I haven't been
able to find any specific examples. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Bill P

Old July 20th 05, 06:11 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Bill,

Check out the LPOD web site .... http://www.lpod.org ... if it is not
there, it does not exist! ;-)

Anthony.

Old July 20th 05, 07:53 PM
Bob May

Resolution is dependant upon the aperture size. In other words, you can't
get any better images from a small scope no matter how good it is as you
would get from a larger scope.
What are you trying to do?

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Old July 20th 05, 08:50 PM
Mark S. Holden

Bill Peterson wrote:
As part of a personal study, I'm looking for amateur images of the moon
showing maximum sharpness. My understanding is that some webcams and higher
order cameras are producing this type of imagery now, but I haven't been
able to find any specific examples. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Bill P

Are you looking for detail shots, or the entire Moon?

Old July 20th 05, 09:01 PM
RMOLLISE

Bob May wrote:
Resolution is dependant upon the aperture size. In other words, you can't
get any better images from a small scope no matter how good it is as you
would get from a larger scope.

HI Bob:

No, you can't. But you CAN maximize the ability of your scope to
achieve the potential of its aperture and your seeing. I never could,
for example, convincingly image the Plato craterlets with Tri-X. With a
webcam and Registax, it's fairly easy with an 8 inch SCT. As is the
case with the planets, webcams are enabling amateurs to far exceed what
they could do in the past with "conventional" techniques.

I second the recommendation of LPOD. In additon to other interesting
materials, this site is FULL of some of the best amateur Lunar imaging
out there.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
For Uncle Rod's Astro Blog.

Old July 21st 05, 01:14 AM
David Nakamoto

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob May wrote:
Resolution is dependant upon the aperture size. In other words, you can't
get any better images from a small scope no matter how good it is as you
would get from a larger scope.

HI Bob:

No, you can't. But you CAN maximize the ability of your scope to
achieve the potential of its aperture and your seeing. I never could,
for example, convincingly image the Plato craterlets with Tri-X. With a
webcam and Registax, it's fairly easy with an 8 inch SCT. As is the
case with the planets, webcams are enabling amateurs to far exceed what
they could do in the past with "conventional" techniques.

I believe this is due to stacking reducing the effects of seeing, so it's less
seeing dominated. In the best cases, the effects are reduced to where you may
be operating close to what the optical limits of the telescope are.

I second the recommendation of LPOD. In additon to other interesting
materials, this site is FULL of some of the best amateur Lunar imaging
out there.

Yes indeed !

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old July 21st 05, 08:37 AM
Oh Yea?

Bill Peterson wrote:

As part of a personal study, I'm looking for amateur images of the moon
showing maximum sharpness.

Maybe you need to define that. I assume you have - just didnt share it with us.

Old July 21st 05, 08:50 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson
As part of a personal study, I'm looking for amateur images of the moon
showing maximum sharpness. My understanding is that some webcams and higher
order cameras are producing this type of imagery now, but I haven't been
able to find any specific examples. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Bill P
Do a Google search for amateur experts Damian Peach or Martin Mobberley.

Nytecam
Old July 21st 05, 02:59 PM

I didn't know Martin was an expert in lunar imagery...

Andrea T.

Old July 21st 05, 06:58 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I didn't know Martin was an expert in lunar imagery...

Andrea T.
You are learning something every day ;^) - keep it up.

Nytecam