Got my Parks 8"f/6

Old October 6th 04, 05:38 PM
CHASLX200

Default Got my Parks 8"f/6

My used Parks 8" F/6 with Parks 1" shaft mount came today!

All in all the scope is well built and soild, it's built just like the Newts of
the 60's and 70's SIMPLE! The mount seems to have very small bearing surface
areas, so that could be a weak link. Can't say anything about the optics till
i start test it, but collimation is as ho hum and simple as most Newts.

More to come later...

Chas P.

Old October 7th 04, 11:57 PM
Rod Mollise

*****
A 8" Parks is nothing to brag about! Only reason i got it cause it was
cheap...

HI Chas:

Why do you say that? Historically, their optics have been quite good. My
daughter has one of their 6 inch f/8 primaries and it is outstanding. OTAs are
pretty nice. Admittedly, the mounts are 1960s in spades, but they are well
built, and may satisfy those of us who remember wrestling with pedestal-mounted
GEMs back in the 60s.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old October 8th 04, 02:16 AM
Jan Owen

I'm just saying it's a basic no thrills scope.

Lets hope is has good optics,i took the mirror and cell out of the tube,

and
hope that i fixed the pinched mirror problem.

The cell uses a round metal retaining ring to hold the mirror in the

cell, the
last owner had all 6 screws on the ring so tight!

Chas P.

Back those screws off, and let that mirror rattle around in there just a
little... I space my Newtonian primaries away from the mounting hardware
(clips AND side/centering screws) by using strips of a business card as
shims. Close, but no hard contact. And NO pinching... Uhhh, and don't
forget to remove those little shims when you have everything set....

Old October 8th 04, 03:54 AM
Jan Owen

Back those screws off, and let that mirror rattle around in there just
little... I space my Newtonian primaries away from the mounting

hardware
(clips AND side/centering screws) by using strips of a business card as
shims. Close, but no hard contact. And NO pinching... Uhhh, and

don't
forget to remove those little shims when you have everything set....

I already took care of it today! Just need a clear nite...

Chas P.

This, and clean mirrors (and proper collimation and equilibration, which I
know you know about) will let it perform as well as it can. The star
test, then, will reveal the truth. It could go either way. Parks, at
times, has made excellent mirrors. And at other times, well... So it
will depend somewhat on that proverbial toss of the coin now...