Any Experience with Konus 5" and 6" Maksutov Cassegrain Scopes ?

Old November 14th 03, 03:48 PM
matt

Default Any Experience with Konus 5" and 6" Maksutov Cassegrain Scopes ?

In search for that elusive grab and go scope, I came across the Konus 5"
Maksutov-Cass , which seems to have some interesting features. I'd be
interested in how it compares with the Orion Starmax 127 , which was until
recently one of my easy(...er) to transport scopes. How's its optical
quality, how good is the built in flip mirror , the drives tracking ... It
seems to come with an EQ4 mount with dual drive and the new style round
steel tube leg tripod . Here's the link :

http://www.digitecoptical.com/tele-konus_maks_1797.htm

I'd also be interested in their 6" Mak , which sells with mount , dual drive
and the steel legs tripod for a bit over $800 :
http://www.digitecoptical.com/tele-konus_maks_1798.htm

I'd be interested to know how's their quality, both mechanical and optical,
customer support , real life return policy experiences . I'm in Florida, USA
btw ;-)

Thanks,
Matt

Old November 14th 03, 08:40 PM
Gareth B

"matt" wrote in message ...
[...]

My first thought was that they were from Synta, but the specs on the
OTA's are wrong for any of the current Synta (Skywatcher/Orion) Maks.
The mount in that pic looks like the EQ5 mount sold though the same
retailers who sell Synta scopes.

*IF* they are coming from Synta, I'd expect optical and construction
quality to be on par with the Starmaxs. If they're coming from
somewhere else, it will take a little time before a few reasonable
reviews have been done. The pricing is interesting though, for the
same price as a Starmax 127 on a basic EQ3 mount/alu tripod, you can
get the Konus 130 on an EQ5 with dual motor drive/steel tripod. The
130 will probably be a little less portable than your Starmax 127
though, due to the larger/heavier OTA, mount and tripod. At f/15 it
might make quite a compact planetary scope
Old November 14th 03, 10:36 PM
Indianaradio

I HAD an Intes Micro Alto 603 Mak, sold it and I'm still kicking my dumb ass.
Understand?