Digital compact camera - low light, low weight, and threaded lens

Old September 16th 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
James Harris

Default Digital compact camera - low light, low weight, and threaded lens

Has anyone had success in attaching a low weight, low light compact
digital camera to a telescope eyepiece for imaging the night sky? I
already have a good attachment using the following

ETX-90
Standard Meade lenses
Digi-T adapter - http://www.scopetronics.com/dtsystems.htm
Olympus C4040Z camera
Cam2com software - http://www.sabsik.com/

The problem is that the camera is slightly heavier than I would like.
At 420 grammes it seems a bit of a load on the telescope. I'd rather
avoid counterweights so I'm looking for a more modern and lighter
camera. The basic requirement is that it have a threaded attachment
like the one shown below so I can couple it directly to the eyepiece,
and be low weight. One that has good low light performance would be
good.

The threading on which the Digi-T adapter mounts is just visible in
this link showing the lens adapter tube that couples the Digi-T to the
camera.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=200558-410

In case anyone hasn't tried it, the threaded mounting is far more
solid and far easier to use than those awkward rods-and-rings bits of
meccano that hold the camera via its tripod attachment.

--
James
Old September 19th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Chris.B

James Harris wrote:

In case anyone hasn't tried it, the threaded mounting is far more
solid and far easier to use than those awkward rods-and-rings bits of
meccano that hold the camera via its tripod attachment.
--
James

Hi James

It's far too quiet so here are some random thoughts:

Unfortunately not many compact digital cameras seem to have a lens
thread.

The weight of cameras also seems to follow a maker trend.

Weight suggest quality to the ignorant and impressionable. Think Nikon
SLRs and Olympic weight lifters! I thought the Olympus SLRs more than
heavy enough!

My £200 Canon Ixus 860IS feels like half a brick at 155g. My £70
Vivitar 7388S feels much lighter at 135g. I'd prefer half that for a
pocket camera. My Olde Sony P71 weighed 274g and now feels like two
whole bricks taped together with a postage stamp for a screen.

The Vivitar goes everywhere with me. Even on cycle rides. The Canon
only goes out in the car or around the house and garden.

I have been delighted with the results from both cameras. The Vivitar
is a little jewel for the asking price with a huge screen. A spare
battery is always handy. The Canon battery lasts literally for months.
The Vivitar for a couple of weeks. Both get lots of exercise so I
needed a larger hard drive. Thanks to these three digital cameras I
now have 12,000 image files worth 10GB. Not all astronomy, I hasten to
add.

If you go into the menus you can set the lens not to retract. The lens
housing could then be used in a simple tubular, eyepiece adaptor.
Though I'd want a short lanyard to catch the camera if it slipped.

Somebody ought to do a plastic eyepiece adaptor with a proper clamping
ring for various compact camera lenses. Rather like they do for
webcams but without the tiny thread.

I made a simple adaptor for my Sony tripod screw hole using a piece of
alloy plate and a Tufnol block bored in the lathe to fit the outside
of my 2" focussing mount. I used it for eyepiece projection on the Sun
during a transit with the Sony lens set to stay out and a full
aperture solar foil filter on my 6" refractor.

Regards
Chris

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.com/
Old September 20th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro.ccd-imaging,alt.astronomy
James Harris

On 16 Sep, 21:22, James Harris wrote:

[...]

Asking on wider range of newsgroups. Maybe others have already gone
down this road. Not sure if this will invoke derision from the CCD
folks.... :-)

--
James
Old September 20th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
James Harris

On 19 Sep, 00:03, "Chris.B" wrote:
James Harris wrote:

In case anyone hasn't tried it, the threaded mounting is far more
solid and far easier to use than those awkward rods-and-rings bits of
meccano that hold the camera via its tripod attachment.
--
James

Hi James

It's far too quiet so here are some random thoughts:

It is. Thanks for adding comments.

Unfortunately not many compact digital cameras seem to have a lens
thread.

The weight of cameras also seems to follow a maker trend.

Weight suggest quality to the ignorant and impressionable. Think Nikon
SLRs and Olympic weight lifters! I thought the Olympus SLRs more than
heavy enough!

My £200 Canon Ixus 860IS feels like half a brick at 155g. My £70
Vivitar 7388S feels much lighter at 135g. I'd prefer half that for a
pocket camera. My Olde Sony P71 weighed 274g and now feels like two
whole bricks taped together with a postage stamp for a screen.

That's only 20g of difference. Does it really change the perceived
weight so much?

[...]

You mean to clamp to the lens barrel? That could work. I still prefer
the idea of mounting on a thread but your suggestion sounds far better
than the tripod mount.

I made a simple adaptor for my Sony tripod screw hole using a piece of
alloy plate and a Tufnol block bored in the lathe to fit the outside
of my 2" focussing mount. I used it for eyepiece projection on the Sun
during a transit with the Sony lens set to stay out and a full
aperture solar foil filter on my 6" refractor.

OK. Here's another mounting method using the tripod mount that sounds
similar (but not such good value!)

http://www.scopetronics.com/kit-images/type3-dt.htm

--
James
Old September 21st 08, 01:14 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_11_]

The following site might help James:

http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

Regards,
John.

Old September 21st 08, 05:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro.ccd-imaging,alt.astronomy
SkySea[_6_]

[...]

One thing you might try is to remove the batteries and use the
external 120V power adapter. 4AAAs weigh 120 gm. Even if that leaves a
heavy camera, it'll lighten the requirement for the counterweights, if
you feel you still need those.

Old February 24th 09, 02:07 PM
macsuperfly macsuperfly is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySea[_6_] View Post
[...]

There are some great low light pocket cameras available. The Kodak v1073 is a "sleeper", it has a big sensor for a pocket camera and not overly ambitious resolution (megapixels). It also does great low light HD movies. I have a one page list of low light pocket cameras on my website. Just go to http://www.findbesttech.com. This is not spam, I do not automate my messages and I only refer to my website when it is directly pertinent to the discussion.