skywatcher 127 Mak poor focus

Old February 21st 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_25_]

Default skywatcher 127 Mak poor focus

Are they any good?

I purchased a skywatcher skymax 127 Mak the other day and
I must say the image sharpness is the worst of any instrument
I have ever used and that includes a $5 refractor.

The 25 mm stock eyepiece is really hard to try and focus but it
never quite makes it. Stars look like tiny slightly flattened
disks maybe 2x the size of the period at the end of this line.

The 10mm stock eyepiece must be a joke.

Ready to chuck the scope in the bin or is it worth buying different
eyepieces? Shouldn't the scope come with acceptable eyepieces?

Are there some collimation screws at the back that might fix it?

Any info appreciated.
Old February 22nd 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_25_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:34:52 +0000, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:39:14 +0000, John wrote:

The 25 mm stock eyepiece is really hard to try and focus but it never
quite makes it. Stars look like tiny slightly flattened disks maybe 2x
the size of the period at the end of this line.

Ready to chuck the scope in the bin or is it worth buying different
eyepieces? Shouldn't the scope come with acceptable eyepieces?

Are there some collimation screws at the back that might fix it?

Hi John,
I have one of these 'scopes and they are very good, excellent on the
planets. It sounds to me as if the previous owner may have tried to
collimate it and failed (assuming that this is a second hand 'scope). The
other possibility is that you trying to reach focus without a diagonal in
the optical path, which may not be possible (I haven't tried it).
They are very good telecopes so I would imagine that whatever is wrong
with yours is fixable.
Regards
- Mike

Ok thanks for the info Mike. Being a binocular observer these past few
years I had done most of my watching through a plate glass window. That
may have been my trouble!!

I just tried the scope outside and the views were significantly
sharper - I never noticed any difference with the 10x50's so hey ho - my
mistake.

Thanks for your consideration.