Maunder like minimum m

Old July 10th 15, 04:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default Maunder like minimum m

Vath doesn't like links but he really needs to look at this one.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...TA2ZdAM.mailto

Keep your heating in good working order.
Old July 11th 15, 07:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Friday, 10 July 2015 17:14:26 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:
Vath doesn't like links but he really needs to look at this one.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...TA2ZdAM.mailto

Keep your heating in good working order.

Cough! Er-um.. Don't you mean our insulation and passive solar screening? ;ø]

Our neighbours' chimneys smoke [copiously] for many months on either side of our very modest heating season thanks to our foot of rock wool in the roof. Some invisible and/or more prepossessing means of solar screening would be preferable to painting all southerly roof surfaces with titanium white paint. Though I am sometimes tempted to replace the southern roof with pure white Eternit: The only cool roofing surface to be found in many Danish builder's merchants displays. I meant "cool" in the thermal sense rather than the monosyllabic US youth idiom. White is a trifle "sudden" on the rural eye more accustomed to grey thatch set against universal greenery. Tragically thatch is hideously expensive or it would make an ideal and very modern [thermal-acoustic] choice.

Black has been the favourite new roofing colour for years now in Denmark. Making many roof spaces intolerably hot where the bedrooms are often situated. The roofing equivalent of wearing stiletto heels. Supposedly stylish, but impractical for real life and with deleterious long term effects on the wearer. Most home owners would buy a new kitchen before even considering their home's insulation values.

Traditional Welsh slate has/had very similar thermal properties to black tiles. Southerly aspects are very suitable for frying eggs in summer and keeping the [human] meat chilly all winter. So, basically, the "developed" countries have yet to develop a mechanism for a normal [stable] climate let alone a changing one. One could even argue [with thermally and acoustically benign thatch] that we are actually going backwards in our modern roofing choices.