Liquid Puddles found by MER rovers?

Old June 12th 07, 11:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
rhw007

Default Liquid Puddles found by MER rovers?

On Jun 12, 12:38 pm, rhw007 wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:35 pm, wrote:

On Jun 8, 2:49 pm, rhw007 wrote:

Seems Gil Levin's son found some puddles in MER rover images.

A Planetary Society Blog article written by Emily Lakdawalla
thoroughly debunks the claim that puddles were found.
The article is he http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000998/

-- Eric Goldstein

---

rhw:

First of all the image is NOT...repeat NOT...'true false color'.

I have REPEATED Ron Levin's proccessing of Opportunity's SOL 290 image
using the standard MER filters NASA uses for many many of their own
TRUE COLOR images...Red-L2 Green-L5 Blue-L7 and I got the same results
which can be viewed in hires gif image he

http://home.thirdage.com/Teaching/r...l290puddles.gif

As for being inside a 'crater' I repeat a portion of what I stated
elsewhe

Portions of the 'level' areas could be like a 'stepped terrace' type
of terrain where the top part of the image is higher in elevation than
the botttom portion of the image...BUT...in between there could be
several 'level' areas with reguards to Mars' center of
gravity...THUS...water could FLOW from the upper level ground and
spill downward into the level areas until they fill up, making a small
puddle, those fill up and spill over.

And we have to remember that the SURFACE temperature HAS been measured
as high as 70 degrees farenheit. Also as the whole planet is on a
warming trend more H2O is going from the poles into the atmosphere and
increasing the air pressure.

The 'blue' MAY indeed be hematite residue...but it is NOT hematite
DUST because the higher ROCK portions would HAVE to have it also if
this was fine hematite dust kicked up by the wind...the ROCKS are
entirely TRUE COLOR GREY...NO BLUE.

Come up with a better 'scientific' explanation folks.

I have CORRECTLY reproduced Levin's image processing. Try it for
yourself.

Here are the 3 raw images with proper filters:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gall...IP2273L2M1.HTML

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gall...IP2273L5M1.HTML

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gall...IP2273L7M1.HTML

And to further rebut that L2 and L7 are 'false colors' according to
NASA here is link where they state they use these filters to...well
read for yourself:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/images.cfm?id=2084

"The false color enhances subtle color differences among materials in
the rocks and soils of the scene. "

So the main thing I get from this is that using L2 and L7 does
NOT...repeat NOT introduce colors that are NOT there...they use these
filter combinations to ENHANCE EXISTING COLORS...i.e. the process does
NOT create colors that were NOT there in the first place...it only
makes these colors more easily discernable.

Bob...http://www.commonsensecentral.blogspot.com/

---

to be honest and in full disclosu

Well it seems Ron Levin has retracted his claim of puddles:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/spa...s-on-mars.html

"I want to retract the claim in the paper that the smooth area we
discussed was 'standing liquid water'," Levin acknowledged on Tuesday.
"I am sorry that we made such a large mistake."

article written by Maggie McKee, Space editor

---
So...we need to find a better example.

AND be more discerning in the data processing.

Bob...

Old June 13th 07, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"rhw007" wrote in message
ups.com...

Seems Gil Levin's son found some puddles in MER rover images.

I've been watching each and every Opportunity pic as
they've come in. The dust on Mars is like talcum powder.
At first I wondered what that was also. I thought it might be
some dirty ice. What you're seeing is meanders, channels
and ponds that were formed by running water in the
past, but are now often filled with fine, powdery dust.
I think it's pretty clear that in the past water would
melt out of the crater walls and flow down the side
of the crater. NASA has one picture after another
around Mars showing just such channels in the
sides of craters.

http://space.newscientist.com/articl...s-surface.html

http://tinyurl.com/2sxezk

Old June 13th 07, 12:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jun 11, 8:35 pm, wrote:

On Jun 8, 2:49 pm, rhw007 wrote:

[...]

Bob...- Hide quoted text -

Wow! they actually admit to having made a mistake. I'm impressed.

What other mistakes about Mars have they made?

Do they plan upon making more of such mistakes?
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth