Floaters - new website simulator

Old January 21st 06, 02:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Floaters - new website simulator

The following is misc web site that I ran across that may be helpful in
explaining floaters to young people you have not yet developed them.

http://www.visionsimulations.com/FloatersSimulator.htm

- Canopus56

Old January 23rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

canopus56 wrote:
The following is misc web site that I ran across that may be helpful in
explaining floaters to young people you have not yet developed them.

http://www.visionsimulations.com/FloatersSimulator.htm

- Canopus56

Hey, I have seen occasionally something that I thought was floater
in my eyes. What puzzles me in this simulator is the color of the
"floaters" - they are shown as light gray, while what I see is
black shadow... Is my floater defective and should I try to get
a refund?! :-)

- Alex
Old January 24th 06, 12:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Alexander Avtanski wrote:
Hey, I have seen occasionally something that I thought was floater
in my eyes. What puzzles me in this simulator is the color of the
"floaters" - they are shown as light gray, while what I see is
black shadow...

There's a little slider at the bottom that let's you make the simulator
floaters either lighter or darker, before pasting them to the
background scene. There is another button to select different shapes
of floaters. I guess everybody's floaters are not the same.

Is my floater defective and should I try to get a refund?! :-)

If you know where to apply, please let me know. At a refund per
floater, I can retire. :-) - C

Old January 24th 06, 05:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

canopus56 wrote:
[ ... ]

There's a little slider at the bottom that let's you make the simulator
floaters either lighter or darker, before pasting them to the
background scene. There is another button to select different shapes
of floaters. I guess everybody's floaters are not the same.

Thanks. Where was I looking?! I guess my floater was sitting
smack on top of it and I didn't see the slider. :-) [Note for
myself: I should try using the same excuse for my "to-do" list
at work. Note 2: ... But first I should check if my boss reads
this newsgroup.] :-)

- Alex, #-)
Old January 24th 06, 01:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

http://www.visionsimulations.com/FloatersSimulator.htm

Not a bad simulator... I definitely have the type 1 floaters seen
there, threads of materials connected together. In the most dense
areas, they are reddish as white light passes through them. I have
practically all the other types seen there as well. On a bright blue
sky day outside, with snow everywhere on the ground, as I move my eyes
around it's reminiscent of looking through egg whites. My vision is
very sharp, but there is tremendous movement across the entire field.

My floaters all appeared in October of 1999 and havent gotten any
worse. I drew this a few months after they appeared:
http://www.biliaryatresia.net/floaters.jpg

Old January 24th 06, 02:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:
My floaters all appeared in October of 1999 and havent gotten any
worse. I drew this a few months after they appeared:
http://www.biliaryatresia.net/floaters.jpg

I don't know anything about treatment options. Have you run across any
info on that? - C

Old January 24th 06, 03:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 23 Jan 2006 17:07:52 -0800, "canopus56"

My floaters all appeared in October of 1999 and havent gotten any
worse. I drew this a few months after they appeared:
http://www.biliaryatresia.net/floaters.jpg

I don't know anything about treatment options. Have you run across any
info on that? - C

A doctor can perfom a vitrectomy (removal of the vitreous humor) or
partial vitrectomy to target the floaters, but the procedure is
generally reserved for severe cases or done if some other surgery for
the eye is also indicated.

Some are trying to break them up with lasers, but its efficay is not
been proven.

http://www.eye-floaters.com/vitrectomy.php
http://www.preventblindness.org/eye_problems/floatersFAQ.html

Nick (also bothered by floaters)

--
Nick Theodorakis

contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
Old January 24th 06, 06:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nick Theodorakis wrote:
On 23 Jan 2006 17:07:52 -0800, "canopus56"

[ ... ]

I don't know anything about treatment options. Have you run across any
info on that? - C

A doctor can perfom a vitrectomy (removal of the vitreous humor) or
partial vitrectomy to target the floaters, but the procedure is
generally reserved for severe cases or done if some other surgery for
the eye is also indicated.

[ ... ]

From my point of view, as a member of a technical profession that
have nothing to do with medical science, I would like to take this
chance to make a comment expressing my strong feelings in respect
to the so called "vitrectomy treatment": "Aw, yuck!!!"

- Alex
Old January 24th 06, 08:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:22:34 -0800, Alexander Avtanski
wrote:

From my point of view, as a member of a technical profession that
have nothing to do with medical science, I would like to take this
chance to make a comment expressing my strong feelings in respect
to the so called "vitrectomy treatment": "Aw, yuck!!!"

Yeah. I spent 15 years designing instruments for performing
vitrectomies, and I don't want anything to do with this treatment (and
I've got bad floaters). There is a very high risk of total vision loss.
You are trying to cut a sticky, stringy, semisolid material away from
the retina, which is almost identical in consistency and strength to wet
Kleenex.

I doubt any reputable ophthalmologist would perform a vitrectomy just to
eliminate floaters, no matter how bad they were.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 24th 06, 08:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 23 Jan 2006 16:42:56 -0800, wrote:

My floaters all appeared in October of 1999 and havent gotten any
worse. I drew this a few months after they appeared:
http://www.biliaryatresia.net/floaters.jpg

That's almost exactly what I see as well. As with yourself, the view
against a bright sky is typically when I notice it the most.

I also have moved to using binoviewers exclusively with any moderate-
or high-power at a telescope to help offset my floaters. A single EP
view of a planet at high-power is very frustrating for me.

---
Michael McCulloch