Goddard's 1930 Manned Moonship

Old September 3rd 10, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Goddard's 1930 Manned Moonship

On Sep 2, 9:18*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Even Goddard had his off days:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ne-rocket-to-e...

BTW, he wasn't the first person to come up with the idea of driving
propellers by shooting rocket exhaust onto a turbine to drive them.
Meet the Berdan torpedo of the 1880's:http://www.btinternet.com/~philipr/images/torp12.jpg

Was this patented? I can't find through Google's patent data base,
but that means little.

I did find that Hiran Berdan is credited with the invention of the
"bread machine," too, based on other patents in that name. He must
have been an interesting character, if he was one person.

Mike
Old September 3rd 10, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/3/2010 9:21 AM, wrote:
ges/torp12.jpg

Was this patented? I can't find through Google's patent data base,
but that means little.

Here's info on it; it may have been patented in Turkey:
http://books.google.com/books?id=jaa...ped o&f=false

I did find that Hiran Berdan is credited with the invention of the
"bread machine," too, based on other patents in that name. He must
have been an interesting character, if he was one person.

That's the boy; had a sharpshooter brigade in the Civil War:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Berdan
I got a kick out of his patented musket ball design...I picture this
patent with three circles drawn on it, labeled "Front", "Side", "Top". ;-)

Pat
Old September 10th 10, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Sep 3, 1:21*pm, " wrote:
On Sep 2, 9:18*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Even Goddard had his off days:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ne-rocket-to-e....

BTW, he wasn't the first person to come up with the idea of driving
propellers by shooting rocket exhaust onto a turbine to drive them.
Meet the Berdan torpedo of the 1880's:http://www.btinternet.com/~philipr/images/torp12.jpg

Was this patented? *I can't find through Google's patent data base,
but that means little.

I did find that Hiran Berdan is credited with the invention of the
"bread machine," too, based on other patents in that name. *He must
have been an interesting character, if he was one person.

Mike

Go to USPTO data base - you'll need to install their TIFF viewer to
see them - its free and complete if you click 'since 1790' check box -
the last nine for 'Robert Goddard' 'Inventor Name' is;

1,879,186 Apparatus for Igniting Liquid Fuel
1,860,891 Apparatus for Pumping Low Temperature Liquids
1,834,149 Means for Decelerating Aircraft
1,809,271 Propulsion of Aircraft
1,809,115 Apparatus for Producing Ions (Ion rocket)
1,700,675 Vaporizer for Use With Solar Energy (solar rocket)
1,661,473 Accumulator for Radiant Energy
1,609,540 Sound Reproducing Device
1,341,053 Magazine rocket

There are 100 more - which may cite him as well as be by him.

Old September 11th 10, 07:40 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Sep 10, 5:32*pm, William Mook wrote:

Go to USPTO data base - you'll need to install their TIFF viewer to
see them - its free and complete if you click 'since 1790' check box -
the last nine for 'Robert Goddard' 'Inventor Name' is;

Thanks.

1,341,053 * * * Magazine rocket

This is very near to the basic idea of Orion.

Mike
Old September 12th 10, 05:56 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/11/2010 7:10 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:

At least as far as one of the assassins of Czar Alexander II in 1881:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Kibalchich

Okay, how about Cyrano De Bergerac in his "A Voyage To The Moon" from
1647?: http://www.princeton.edu/~stengel/cyrano.html

"Bruised as I was, however, I returned to my Chamber without loosing
courage, and with Beef-Marrow I anointed my Body, for I was all over
mortified from Head to Foot: Then having taken a dram of Cordial Waters
to strengthen my Heart, I went back to look for my Machine; but I could
not find it, for some Soldiers, that had been sent into the Forest to
cut wood for a Bonefire, meeting with it by chance, had carried it with
them to the Fort: Where after a great deal of guessing what it might be,
when they had discovered the invention of the Spring, some said, that a
good many Fire-Works should be fastened to it, because their Force
carrying them up on high, and the Machine playing its large Wings, no
Body but would take it for a Fiery Dragon. In the mean time I was long
in search of it, but found it at length in the Market-place of Kebeck
(Quebec), just as they were setting Fire to it. I was so transported
with Grief, to find the Work of my Hands in so great Peril, that I ran
to the Souldier that was giving Fire to it, caught hold of his Arm,
pluckt the Match out of his Hand, and in great rage threw my self into
my Machine, that I might undo the Fire-Works that they had stuck about
it; but I came too late, for hardly were both my Feet within, when whip,
away went I up in a Cloud.
The Horror and Consternation I was in did not so confound the faculties
of my Soul, but I have since remembered all that happened to me at that
instant. For so soon as the Flame had devoured one tier of Squibs, which
were ranked by six and six, by means of a Train that reached every
half-dozen, another tier went off, and then another[8], so that the
Salt-Peter taking Fire, put off the danger by encreasing it. However,
all the combustible matter being spent, there was a period put to the
Fire-work; and whilst I thought of nothing less than to knock my Head
against the top of some Mountain, I felt, without the least stirring, my
elevation continuing; and adieu Machine, for I saw it fall down again
towards the Earth."

Pat

Goddard's 1930 Manned Moonship Pat Flannery Policy 32 September 15th 10 09:56 AM
Goddard's 1930 Manned Moonship [email protected] History 2 September 3rd 10 06:22 PM
Space Travel in 1930 Chris History 18 November 29th 08 06:43 PM
Goddard's 80th Anniversary and.... nothing? TVDad Jim History 55 March 21st 06 04:22 AM
scan of Trumpler 1930 paper astrobouy Research 2 October 11th 05 02:46 PM