Hey Treb!

Old January 7th 06, 12:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Default Hey Treb!

Hey Treb!

There is one profound mystery of the universe that I have been
pondering for a long time. Maybe you with your exo-universal mind can
shed some light on it.

Whenever I pour Coke into a glass over ice cubes, if the ice cubes are
new (right out of the refrigerator), that's when the Coke foams up and
overflows the glass and goes all over the counter (same would be true
of Bud Lite)! But when I am refilling a glass with "used" ice cubes
still in it, the Coke doesn't foam up near as much. Why is this?

I would truly like a scientific explanation for this phenomenon because
I am tired of cleaning the counter!

Double-A

P.S. Do you drink Coke in that other universe, or maybe it's Ekoc.

Old January 7th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"You called" and I appreciated you using my name. I'm the top gun now
Double-A Do you put the ice cubes in after the coke" If not try it both
ways. Right out of the tray the ice surface is dry,and that could make a
stronger action than when its surface is wet. A dry surface mean it has
free moving electrons moving about on the surface,and they are looking
to find atoms that might need them,and they found them in the liquid
cola thus increasing it to foam more. Try also to have your coke at a
lower temp. Bud light is a terrible. thing to waste so I always pour my
Bud over the ice,and make sure to keep it in the coldest part of the
frig Just blew the Bud's head off. 55F on the porch,but I like
all my drinks ice cold. Mmmmmm good. TreBert

Old January 7th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Treb!

There is one profound mystery of the universe that I have been
pondering for a long time. Maybe you with your exo-universal mind can
shed some light on it.

Whenever I pour Coke into a glass over ice cubes, if the ice cubes are
new (right out of the refrigerator), that's when the Coke foams up and
overflows the glass and goes all over the counter (same would be true
of Bud Lite)! But when I am refilling a glass with "used" ice cubes
still in it, the Coke doesn't foam up near as much. Why is this?

I would truly like a scientific explanation for this phenomenon because
I am tired of cleaning the counter!

Double-A

P.S. Do you drink Coke in that other universe, or maybe it's Ekoc.

Is the glass you used cleaned in a dishwasher? If so, the extra foam is the
result of a thin layer of soap still on the glass first time you pour it in.
Refill the glass and there isn't as much foam because you have already drunk
the soap. You can prove this yourself by filling up a new glass with water
and looking at the bubbles that form on the surface. After the big ones pop,
there are a bunch of small ones that linger and look exactly like soap film
bubbles because that's exactly what they are. People don't realize they're
drinking soap, Double-A. Even in such a small amount you can't taste it (or
more likely you've gotten used to the taste by now and are unconsciously
ignoring it) , it can still cause injury to your digestive tract over many
years of constant drinking. I show this to people who think I'm wierd for
rinsing out a glass even if it's clean, and it's interesting to see their
reactions.

Greysky

Old January 7th 06, 11:45 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Maybe that's why BEERT's head has a black hole at the center? It's
soap!

Saul Levy

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:22:13 GMT, "Greysky"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old January 8th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Treb!

There is one profound mystery of the universe that I have been
pondering for a long time. Maybe you with your exo-universal mind can
shed some light on it.

Whenever I pour Coke into a glass over ice cubes, if the ice cubes are
new (right out of the refrigerator), that's when the Coke foams up and
overflows the glass and goes all over the counter (same would be true
of Bud Lite)! But when I am refilling a glass with "used" ice cubes
still in it, the Coke doesn't foam up near as much. Why is this?

I would truly like a scientific explanation for this phenomenon because
I am tired of cleaning the counter!

I know this is OT for alt.astronomy, but at least it is science related. . .
I've seen an explanation that goes something like this. . .
Bubbles are formed because there is too much carbon dioxide dissolved in the
Coke. However, before the CO2 can come out of solution as bubbles it needs
something to act as a nucleus for the bubbles to form.
When you first pour coke into the glass, the surface flaws on the glass act
as nucleation sites so lots of bubbles are formed. Once bubbles start
forming, they can grow rapidly as the CO2 concentration in the coke is still
high - as a result the coke foams right up. If pouring over fresh ice, the
surface of the ice is likely to be rough, giving more nucleation sites.

When time comes for a refill, we have a number of differences.
Firstly, the glass surface is already wet, so the tiny flaws on the surface
are smoothed out.
Secondly, the ice surface will have been smoothed out as it has already
partially melted.
Thirdly, you are likely to be pouring a refill from an already open bottle
or can, so the CO2 concentration is lower than for the initial glassfull.

There is another effect that needs to be taken into account - temperature.
Gases come out of solution as the liquid temperature rises, so the glass
starts out warm from the cupboard at the first pouring , but for the refill
the glass is going to be cooler.

In summary we have 5 possible candidate causes for the difference
Surface flaws on the glass are suppressed when the glass is wet
Surface flaws on the ice are removed when the ice is used
CO2 concentration in the Coke drops between the two pourings
Temperature of the glass drops between the two pourings.
As Greysky has suggested it could be due to detergents when the glass is
'fresh'

Were I still a teacher I would have set this as an experiment to my pupils
to try and work out a way we could test each of these 5 candidate causes
independently to see the relative importance of each. This could be done by
things like

pre-wetting the glass with water or sugar solution before pouring the coke
pre-wetting the ice to melt the surface
make sure the second filling is with a newly opened can or bottle.
put the glass in the fridge to reduce its temperature before the first
pouring
make sure the glass is thoroughy rinsed to get rid of detergent before the
first filling.

All this is part of the scientific method, to try and isolate the possible
causes and test them one by one.

Old January 8th 06, 11:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Greysky wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
[...]

I never use the dishwasher, and besides, the results are the same if I
put new ice into a glass I haven't washed.

Refill the glass and there isn't as much foam because you have already drunk
the soap. You can prove this yourself by filling up a new glass with water
and looking at the bubbles that form on the surface. After the big ones pop,
there are a bunch of small ones that linger and look exactly like soap film
bubbles because that's exactly what they are. People don't realize they're
drinking soap, Double-A. Even in such a small amount you can't taste it (or
more likely you've gotten used to the taste by now and are unconsciously
ignoring it) , it can still cause injury to your digestive tract over many
years of constant drinking. I show this to people who think I'm wierd for
rinsing out a glass even if it's clean, and it's interesting to see their
reactions.

Greysky

Reminds me a story my dad used to tell about when he was in the army.
Seems there was an incident where they weren't washing the soap off
their dishes properly, and they all got dysentery!

Double-A

Old January 8th 06, 12:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
"You called" and I appreciated you using my name. I'm the top gun now
Double-A Do you put the ice cubes in after the coke" If not try it both
ways. Right out of the tray the ice surface is dry,and that could make a
stronger action than when its surface is wet. A dry surface mean it has
free moving electrons moving about on the surface,and they are looking
to find atoms that might need them,and they found them in the liquid
cola thus increasing it to foam more. Try also to have your coke at a
lower temp. Bud light is a terrible. thing to waste so I always pour my
Bud over the ice,and make sure to keep it in the coldest part of the
frig Just blew the Bud's head off. 55F on the porch,but I like
all my drinks ice cold. Mmmmmm good. TreBert

A nice thing to do on a hot summer's day is to put a thick glass mug in
the freezer for a while. Then when you pour your beer, your frosty mug
will have real frost on it!

There used to be a bar that served their beer that way, and it was the
best beer I ever tasted!

Double-A

Old January 8th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy

To All Best to keep in mind QM uses foam to create reality. Trebert

Old January 8th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy

OG wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
[...]

I had a brief stint, working in a restaurant as a pizza driver. They
also had this problem.
Quick answer:

Pre-wet the ice.

RL

light from the Cores G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 64 December 21st 05 04:32 AM
The Donut of the heavens G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 25 July 19th 05 01:24 AM
Why don't black holes "run out"? Bill Sheppard Misc 77 June 6th 05 01:15 AM
What if G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 128 May 15th 05 02:48 PM
Why a Black Hole Collapses in. Double-A Misc 31 November 4th 04 03:15 AM