Phase C McDonnell Douglas Orbiter

Old November 24th 03, 10:54 PM
LooseChanj

Default Phase C McDonnell Douglas Orbiter

Finally got my copy of Jenkins' book. On page 138, an artists concept has a
caption with the line "the missing segment from the lower payload bay door was
not explained". There's also a picture on page 179 (bottom right) which shows
the missing segment on the other side door. My theory is that the "door" with
the missing segment isn't a door at all, it's *only* a radiator, and that there
is only one payload bay door which covers the entire bay when closed, instead
of the clamshell on the production design. One of the diagrams seems to support
this, calling one "door" a radiator, and the other a payload bay door.

Maybe someone knows where to find info on this design online so the people
without Jenkins' book can know what I'm talking about.

And while I'm on the subject, I have to gripe a bit about spell checker "slips".
This book has *oodles*. I'm talking about things like "to added later", or
"primary objectives the Discovery mission..." (where there ought to be an "of"
right before "the"). Just way too many of those. And of course, or usenet favs
like "you're" for "your" and such make a few appearences as well.Maybe I'm just
too nit-picky, but there were enough to make me wonder if the text had been
proofread.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you

Old November 25th 03, 01:53 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"LooseChanj" wrote in message
Finally got my copy of Jenkins' book. On page 138, an artists concept has

caption with the line "the missing segment from the lower payload bay door

was
not explained". There's also a picture on page 179 (bottom right) which

shows
the missing segment on the other side door. My theory is that the "door"

with
the missing segment isn't a door at all, it's *only* a radiator, and that

there
is only one payload bay door which covers the entire bay when closed,

instead
of the clamshell on the production design. One of the diagrams seems to

support
this, calling one "door" a radiator, and the other a payload bay door.

Hmm, I think you're right.

Maybe someone knows where to find info on this design online so the people
without Jenkins' book can know what I'm talking about.

And while I'm on the subject, I have to gripe a bit about spell checker

"slips".
This book has *oodles*. I'm talking about things like "to added later",

or
"primary objectives the Discovery mission..." (where there ought to be an

"of"
right before "the"). Just way too many of those. And of course, or usenet

favs
like "you're" for "your" and such make a few appearences as well.Maybe I'm

just
too nit-picky, but there were enough to make me wonder if the text had

been
proofread.

I've mentioned those errors to Mr. Jenkins at one point and he agreed it was
a shame.

Fortunately the value of the book outweighs them in my opinion.