UFO question

Old February 19th 07, 02:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
cantseeboo

Default UFO question

CSB

Old February 19th 07, 03:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
AustinMN

On Feb 18, 3:43 pm, "Jim Z" wrote:
Hi,
Anyone with similiar observations ?

About 15 years ago, while driving home from work, I could see
something I just could not explain. At first glance, it looked like a
very large blimp (I've since seen blimps in the area and this was at
least fifteen times the linear size of any blimp I've ever seen). I
was quickly able to rule out a blimp because it was flexing and
undulating in a way that would have quickly brought a blimp to the
ground.

It was fall, late afternoon, and the sky was overcast, but there was
no rain.

It changed density, and at times seemed solid dark grey, then partly
transparent, at other times completely transparent. A few times it
disappeared completely, and I wondered if I had seen anything at all,
but then it would be back. I could not imagine how an object that
large could just become invisible like that. The changes in density
happened in two ways. Sometimes, it would sweep over the object in a
wave, and sometimes the whole object would change at once. There were
times it seemed to disappear into the clouds, then come back out
again.

I estimated it's distance when I first saw it at about 5 miles. That
estimate did not vary much as I got closer. I was driving towards
it. At about a mile from the object, I could see that traffic was
slowing - a lot of other people had seen it. I was able to see that
it sometimes split into two or more smaller objects that then
recombined into a single object. By then, I was truly baffled. Some
of the ways it moved reminded me of something I had seen before, but I
could not make sense of it. I thought it might be a flock of birds,
but there were times it seemed to disappear into a cloud - a rather un-
birdlike behavior. When I actually arrived at the object it was
almost exactly where I suspected it was. It was an enormous flock of
small birds, I woudl estimate tens of thousands of them. When viewed
from the right angle, the silouette of the birds made them almost
invisible, but at other angles, they were dark black objects against a
grey sky. In the high density of this flock (combined with distance),
they would visually merge into a "single object" that easily fooled my
brain for several minutes.

Austin

Old February 19th 07, 04:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Starlord

BSG is a Sci-fi t,v,show, the plane is from a comapny that has used it with
a dop launched rocket to put small payloads into orbit and they have worked
with NASA too, I've seen their plane flaying past my home as I'm in a flight
pathway to Edwards.

And as far as the show goes, the newer bsg sucks, I'll stick with the 1970's
show.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Pat O'Connell" wrote in message
. ..
George wrote:
"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
As I live just about 60 miles from VBAFB, I get to watch anything they
launch, only time I don't see it is if they do a drop launch from
Orbial's special plane.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across
the universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers
of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they
may yet be brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere
beyond the heavens.

No offense, Starlord, but your sig reads like an intro to Stargate SG-1.
And we all know that that is fiction, right?

Actually, it's from the original Battlestar Galactica, if I remember
correctly. Maybe the new one too, as I haven't seen much of it.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

Old February 19th 07, 04:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Starlord

Super high flying jet, no stat would do that, to make a 90degs turn towuld
tear it apart.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"dogman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 18, 4:43 pm, "Jim Z" wrote:
Hi,

This is a question for seasoned observers
regarding UFO's. NOT sci-fi alien encounters
and all that junk, rather strange objects you
have seen with no reasonable identification.
Hence unidentified. But have other plausable
causes.

I have had two strange observations in my
years as an amateur, both of which were
resolved.

The first instance was a V formation of pale
white objects going directly over my house
when I was around 13 years old just after dusk.
For years I cound not explain what I had seen, until about
20 years later. I observed the same sort of formation.
This time, however, there was still enough daylight to
identify the formation as the underside of canadian geese.

I suspect that years ago I saw the same thing
only a nearby parking lot provided good night time
illumniation.

My second observation was a formation of three
objects moving very quickly through my binoculars
while observing. They were satellite type objects,
but I had never seen any fly in formation.

A quick check on the internet identifed them as a
Navy tethered satellite array called NOSS.
Really freaked me out at the time.

Anyone with similiar observations ?

Jim

About a year ago I went outside at my job at the time near Atlanta
Georgia around 5am or so looking up at the stars and getting close to
sunrise I would frequently see satalites. That morning I saw a
satalite going from south to north and watched it for several seconds
it then made a sharp 90' turn to the east like a pool ball banking off
a rail, I still don't have an explanation for it.

Old February 19th 07, 05:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Ed[_2_]

Starlord,

The "New" Battlestar Galactica does not contain the quote nor the old
music

Old February 19th 07, 05:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Jim[_1_]

In article . com, Ed wrote:
Starlord,

The "New" Battlestar Galactica does not contain the quote nor the old
music

Apart from a very short rendition in the first episode, during the Viper flyby.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
Please help to bring two classic works of whisky literature back into print
Old February 19th 07, 06:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Starboard

Super high flying jet, no stat would do that, to make a 90degs turn towuld
tear it apart.

Unless it had inertial dampeners...

Errol

Old February 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:43:34 GMT, "Jim Z" wrote:

Anyone with similiar observations ?

I was driving once out in the desert, near Barstow, CA IIRC, and I saw
what appeared to be a classic flying saucer flying off to my left, not
too far away, approximately paralleling the highway. It was astonishing,
and held up to close scrutiny. I pulled over so I could watch it without
the distraction of driving, and its true nature became suddenly clear. I
was seeing a large saucer shaped structure attached to a high tension
power line (for wind stability, I'd guess). The power line was against
the mountains, and was nearly invisible. At its distance from the
highway, maybe a few hundred meters, all that could be easily seen was
the saucer. While driving, the saucer changed position with respect to
the mountains, and without a good distance reference, my brain told me
that it was farther, bigger, and faster- certainly not fixed with
respect to the ground. It was a powerful illusion. It made me appreciate
how people are fooled by ordinary things into thinking they are seeing
UFOs of the alien variety (especially people less inclined to carefully
investigate what they are seeing).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 19th 07, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.support.depression,alt.astronomy,soc.penpals
%

Default ****elard the spamming arseholed self pity cripple question

hi

Old February 19th 07, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Ioannis

"Jim Z" wrote in message
. net...

Hi,

This is a question for seasoned observers
regarding UFO's. NOT sci-fi alien encounters
and all that junk, rather strange objects you
have seen with no reasonable identification.
Hence unidentified. But have other plausable
causes.

I have had two strange observations in my
years as an amateur, both of which were
resolved.

[snip]

Anyone with similiar observations ?

I have seen a strange phenomenon only once when I was vacationing off Crete
when I was 18. I was sweeping the skies with my dad's 8x32 Zeiss binos, when I
saw a triangular formation of lights inside my field of view in the
constellation Lyra. It was three starlike lights, a white a green and a red,
arranged at the verices of a tiny equilateral triangle.

Initially the formation was motionless relative to my field of vew. It
resolved into a triangular formation only under 8x. Naked eye it was only a
star-like single light, around magnitude 3-4, so I figured it was probably
accidental that I picked it up using the binos, otherwise it could easily be
mistaken for a regular star.

I pinpointed the location without my binos and it was at about 60-70 degrees
from the northern horizon.

After about 10 minutes from my first spotting it, it started moving with
constant speed towards the horizon. I tracked it with the binos and saw it
cruise past some familar constellations, with a constant speed of a regular
earth satelite.

After about 5 minutes of cruising at constant speed, I started observing it
naked eye again to see how fast it was moving against the stars.

Then it suddently increased its speed and zoomed over down to the northern
horizon at some ridiculously high speed, like that of a fireball. It covered
the distance from 50 degrees north to disappearing below the horizon in less
than 1-2 seconds.

Its last fast movement I caught naked eye, since it was moving so fast I could
not possibly track it using binos.

Here's the object's speed relative to time:

first 10 minutes: stationary, in constellation of Lyra.
next 5 minutes: common earth satelite velocity.
next 1-2 seconds: 50 degrees in 1-2 seconds, disappearing in the horizon.

I have no idea what it was, then or now.

Jim

--
I.N. Galidakis
http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

A question... OM History 0 March 2nd 06 08:18 AM
Celestron CG-5 GT question (GEM question in general) Paul Murphy Amateur Astronomy 10 December 13th 05 07:58 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good OM History 0 April 22nd 05 08:37 AM
ATM Question gp.skinner UK Astronomy 5 April 21st 04 11:40 AM
question Bruce Policy 2 December 6th 03 05:06 AM