Today's APOD

Old July 23rd 03, 07:53 AM
Rick

Default Today's APOD

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

"Many bumps and valleys on the map can be attributed to surface
features, such as the North Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayan
Mountains, but others cannot, and so might relate to unusually high
or low sub-surface densities."

Is it just me, or do the dark blue areas represent a fairly accurate
map of past major meteoric impacts?

Rick

Old July 23rd 03, 10:29 AM
David Ford

Rick wrote:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

"Many bumps and valleys on the map can be attributed to surface
features, such as the North Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayan
Mountains, but others cannot, and so might relate to unusually high
or low sub-surface densities."

Is it just me, or do the dark blue areas represent a fairly accurate
map of past major meteoric impacts?

Rick

David Ford: It's just you.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:30 PM
don findlay

"Rick" wrote in message ...
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

"Many bumps and valleys on the map can be attributed to surface
features, such as the North Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayan
Mountains, but others cannot, and so might relate to unusually high
or low sub-surface densities."

Is it just me, or do the dark blue areas represent a fairly accurate
map of past major meteoric impacts?

Rick

Bangui in Africa (close). And (check the tomography) something really,
really big in the Indonesian region (crust) reflecting an opening in
the Central Pacific (mantle). (Allow for crust-mantle detachment/
slippage). That Area is where the Americas began their detachment
from Asia.
http://users.indigo.net.au/don/ee/alaska.html (see purple spot in
fig.c)

It's actually moot whether something of that (Pacific) ilk could be
related to the Moon, either as just too close for comfort, or an
actual impact (Yes, I know the impacts on the Moon are (supposed to
be) much older. I don't like the impact idea for something like the
Moon, but there's certainly something very, very curious about it all.
Also there seems to be quite a long precursor to that Pacific opening
that involved the whole Earth. The gravity pumping that J.Taylor
mentions is what I would plump for, active over a long period. A
kind of "dragging out" of the mantle. A kind of 'prolapse'. (The
mexican one of course doesn't show (tiddler)
df.