Giant Stealth Planet May Explain Rain of Comets from Solar System's Edge

Old December 10th 10, 05:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Giant Stealth Planet May Explain Rain of Comets from Solar System's Edge

"Our sun may have a companion that disturbs comets
from the edge of the solar system — a giant planet with
up to four times the mass of Jupiter, researchers
suggest.

A NASA space telescope launched last year may soon
detect such a stealth companion to our sun, if it actually
exists, in the distant icy realm of the comet-birthing
Oort cloud, which surrounds our solar system with billions
of icy objects.

The potential jumbo Jupiter would likely be a world so frigid
it is difficult to spot, researchers said. It could be found up
to 30,000 astronomical units from the sun. One AU is the
distance between the Earth and the sun, about 93 million
miles (150 million km)."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201012...rs ystemsedge
Old December 10th 10, 08:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Dec 10, 12:08*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 12/9/2010 9:52 PM, wrote:

"Our sun may have a companion that disturbs comets
from the edge of the solar system a giant planet with
up to four times the mass of Jupiter, researchers
suggest.

A NASA space telescope launched last year may soon
detect such a stealth companion to our sun, if it actually
exists, in the distant icy realm of the comet-birthing
Oort cloud, which surrounds our solar system with billions
of icy objects.

The potential jumbo Jupiter would likely be a world so frigid
it is difficult to spot, researchers said. It could be found up
to 30,000 astronomical units from the sun. One AU is the
distance between the Earth and the sun, about 93 million
miles (150 million km)."

Yeah, heard this before...it used to be a brown dwarf star called
Nemisis:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28star%29

Pat- Hide quoted text -

According to:

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...uestion62.html

Quote:

"In fact, most astronomers would classify
any object with between 15 times the
mass of Jupiter and 75 times the mass
of Jupiter to be a brown dwarf."

Since the "stealth Planet" is supposed to be
up to 4x the size of Jupiter, wouldn't that just
make it a really big gas giant?
Old December 10th 10, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

[...]

up to 4x the mass of Jupiter, wouldn't that just
make it a really big gas giant?
Old December 10th 10, 09:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On 12/9/2010 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

make it a really big gas giant?- Hide quoted text -

ahh excellent stealth planet discovered just in time to discover a big
asteroid on its way to collide dec 21st 2012

they will decide the shuttle might have stopped it but there wil be no
tanks to launch a shuttle and the vehicles will have been already
prepped for museum displays.....
Old December 10th 10, 10:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

wrote:

According to:

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...uestion62.html

Quote:

"In fact, most astronomers would classify
any object with between 15 times the
mass of Jupiter and 75 times the mass
of Jupiter to be a brown dwarf."

Since the "stealth Planet" is supposed to be
up to 4x the mass of Jupiter, wouldn't that just
make it a really big gas giant?

And Pluto used to be a planet. Objects don't fit into clean categories.

A red dwarf is supposed to be a star big enough for fusion but small
enough to last basically forever. There was a recent article stating
there are 4 times as many as the previous estimate - I wonder what that
means to the percentage of regular matter in the universe.

A brown dwarf is supposed to be an object too small for fusion ignition
but big enough that it continues leaking infrared from its latent heat
of condensation basically forever. There must be vast numbers of
orbital systems in the galaxy lit only be infrared. More than bright
stars and red dwarves put together.

The Nemesis theory comes up every decade or so. I remember at least one
previous cycle.
Old December 10th 10, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 9, 9:52*pm, wrote:
"Our sun may have a companion that disturbs comets
from the edge of the solar system — a giant planet with
up to four times the mass of Jupiter, researchers
suggest.

A NASA space telescope launched last year may soon
detect such a stealth companion to our sun, if it actually
exists, in the distant icy realm of the comet-birthing
Oort cloud, which surrounds our solar system with billions
of icy objects.

The potential jumbo Jupiter would likely be a world so frigid
it is difficult to spot, researchers said. It could be found up
to 30,000 astronomical units from the sun. One AU is the
distance between the Earth and the sun, about 93 million
miles (150 million km)."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201012...ealthplanetmay...

For some reason the cycle of gravity influence of Sirius is always
excluded, even though it’s actually much greater than you think and
getting stronger by the day. If you’d care to learn more, I still
have the math to back up what I’ve interpreted.

“Nemesis was first proposed in 1984 to explain perplexing cycles in
mass extinctions on Earth. About every 27 million years, almost like
clockwork, there is a significantly higher likelihood that a mass
extinction will take place on our planet – akin to the apocalypse that
killed off the dinosaurs (and much of the rest of Earth's life) about
65.5 million years ago.”

“THE THEORIZED COMPANION STAR, THROUGH ITS GRAVITATIONAL PULL,
UNLEASHES A FURIOUS STORM OF COMETS IN THE INNER SOLAR SYSTEM LASTING
FROM 100,000 TO TWO MILLION YEARS. SEVERAL OF THESE COMETS STRIKE THE
EARTH.”
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...s-nemesis.html

If we get nailed by that 10+ km big one with enough velocity to set
most of our world on fire and cause another half inch layer of sooty
red clay saturated with iridium to form, along with years of perpetual
darkness that’ll pretty much terminate that vast bulk of life as we
know it, as such it might be a good idea for having some kind of local
or interstellar lifeboat, upon which some of us might survive.

Now that we've kinda pillaged, plundered and trashed mother Earth for
all she’s worth, not to mention having overpopulated as well as our
having raped most every ocean to the point of no return, whereas its
prime predators are starving and having to switch over to eating
humans and most anything else that swims by (including cannibalism of
their own species), it's time for us to move on in order to locate a
replacement Eden/Earth (if necessary an exoplanet of 42 light years
distant might have to do) as may become the only viable long-term
future for humanity that just can’t seem to leave anything well enough
alone.

Global dimming by one point has serious negative consequences, say
going from an albedo of 39% down to 38% (another peer accepted albedo
of .367 is obviously much dimmer), is actually a huge increase in
solar energy absorbing, not to mention what our personal captured
asteroid/planetoid of 7.35e22 kg has been doing to us by way of its
2e20 N worth of tidal force modulating our entire planet.

It’s worth noting that one redneck fart from either HVAC, Hagar or
rabbi Saul Levy and the albedo dimming over their single-wide trailer
drops by 5 points. (just saying)

Sooty/polluted air, and especially those elements of dirty CO2 and NOx
are all very bad news for the global environment (worse yet when it’s
getting extra saturated with water).

I believe our spendy OCO mission was foiled by Big Energy, because
they really don't want us to ever realize just how bad they've made it
for us. They also don't want us to ever realize how much tonnage of
hydrogen, helium and raw methane is getting released and forever lost
per second, not to mention their all-inclusive contributions of
creating CO2 and NOx plus a good dozen other mostly toxic elements
released and/or created via their own plus our end-use combustion is
actually pretty horrific.

~ BG
Old December 10th 10, 11:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On 12/9/2010 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

Or call it a sub-brown dwarf.

How about a neutron star, or black hole?

~ BG
Old December 11th 10, 12:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 12/10/2010 12:53 PM, wrote:

Yeah, heard this before...it used to be a brown dwarf star called
Nemisis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28star%29

Pat- Hide quoted text -

According to:

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...uestion62.html

Quote:

"In fact, most astronomers would classify
any object with between 15 times the
mass of Jupiter and 75 times the mass
of Jupiter to be a brown dwarf."

Since the "stealth Planet" is supposed to be
up to 4x the mass of Jupiter, wouldn't that just
make it a really big gas giant?

If it even exists; just like Nemesis, I want to see a photo of it, or at
least very good historical evidence of periodic comet increases that can
be traced to its influence on the Oort cloud.
NASA is stating that WISE could maybe find such a planet if it existed,
but again this could be another case of NASA hyping one of its projects
in their "Your tax dollars at work" news releases, like the Arsenic
powered bacteria from Mono Lake news conference that's already being
seriously criticized.

Pat

Old December 11th 10, 03:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On 12/9/2010 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

Those would be just a BIT more massive than 4x Jupiter...

*truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Thomas Jefferson

Good to know, however some have been specifying a much heavier
Nemesis, so I was just wild speculating.

~ BG