Lidl Zoom Binos

Old December 3rd 13, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

Default Lidl Zoom Binos

On 03/12/2013 09:30, fred wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2013 6:13:53 PM UTC, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
I see these are in the UK stores today, next week for the Irish ones.

Anybody got them yet, and are they any good? I've had good results
from their previous Bressler (re-badged Meade, iirc) 10x50 sets.

url:http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-AF...Detail&id=7806

Well 10x is regarded as the max magnification for comfort any sort of prolonged use. 30x is going to be a real bitch to hold on target especially considering the field of view

They are astonishingly cheap for 60mm objectives. I'd say upto 15x was
hand holdable territory - anything above that and it is quite hard to
hold them steady without leaning on something or using a tripod.

Binoculars are one of those things where ultimately you really do get
what you pay for and it is not for nothing that keen birders and amateur
astronomers tend to have exclusively certain models/brands.

But beware there is an 80:20 rule here and you can pay an astronomical
amount for a what is ultimately a small (but possibly important)
improvement in overall image quality and weatherproofing.

Like cameras binoculars need to feel well balanced in *your* hands. It
doesn't matter if they have a 5* technical review somewhere online if
they are not comfortable for you to hold and use they are no good.

Cross post added to uk.sci.astronomy since it will alert them to the
deal and there is a good chance that someone there can answer this.

If you can live with a bit of false colour at the edge of the field then
they may be worthwhile as a stocking filler.

For general purpose use high quality 10x25 or 10x30 binoculars are a lot
easier to always have with you when out walking.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 11th 13, 09:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 03/12/2013 09:44, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/12/2013 09:30, fred wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2013 6:13:53 PM UTC, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
I see these are in the UK stores today, next week for the Irish ones.

Anybody got them yet, and are they any good? I've had good results
from their previous Bressler (re-badged Meade, iirc) 10x50 sets.

url:http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-AF...Detail&id=7806

Well 10x is regarded as the max magnification for comfort any sort of
prolonged use. 30x is going to be a real bitch to hold on target
especially considering the field of view

They are astonishingly cheap for 60mm objectives. I'd say upto 15x was
hand holdable territory - anything above that and it is quite hard to
hold them steady without leaning on something or using a tripod.

I had a look at a pair in Lidl last weekend and they are certainly not
at all bad for the price. At least the pair I sampled were sort of OK.

Some false colour towards the edge of field and any magnification above
15x was essentially empty (ie bigger and blurrier with no more detail).
But there were no obvious headache inducing mismatches of magnification
or image alignment on them. So not a bad buy for a first pair.

I can well believe that some are more equal than others - there can be
any margin for QC checking at that price point!

There was a little zoom spotting scope refractor there too - also not
too shabby and suitable as a child's first telescope.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That Bresser in Lidl Abo UK Astronomy 6 January 7th 08 04:30 PM
Lidl offer Ady UK Astronomy 5 December 2nd 06 09:39 PM
Lidl binoculars Syke UK Astronomy 14 December 13th 04 01:30 AM
Das LIDL-Scope Hugh Watkins UK Astronomy 0 January 1st 04 11:45 PM
Zoom out, Zoom in, animated video Matt Misc 3 August 13th 03 05:14 AM