Has Tasco ruined Celestron?

Old August 6th 06, 01:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
bucky

Default Has Tasco ruined Celestron?

Tasco bought Celestron.

Me thinks Tasco will use the Celestron name
to sell overpriced low quality scopes for a fast buck.

Is there evidence that is happening yet?

Old August 6th 06, 01:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

bucky wrote:
Tasco bought Celestron.

Me thinks Tasco will use the Celestron name
to sell overpriced low quality scopes for a fast buck.

Is there evidence that is happening yet?

Synta bought Celestron. They couched it like the Chrysler/Daimler deal
but everyone knows Daimler is in the "driver's seat."

Old August 6th 06, 02:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

Didn't you read the news last year? The people at celestron bough back the
company and tasco usa is no more, there's a tasco someplace overseas but not
here, Bushnell got all the tasco stock and stuff and has gone from being in
the dump to being in the cesspool.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

t...

Old August 6th 06, 08:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MT

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
Didn't you read the news last year? The people at celestron bough back the
company and tasco usa is no more, there's a tasco someplace overseas but
not here, Bushnell got all the tasco stock and stuff and has gone from
being in the dump to being in the cesspool.

HEY, my first telescope was 3" tasco..I wowed a lot of people when I was 12
with that thing.
I kept it until someone from my family lent it it out without my knowing
and I got it back with the mirror ruined!

HELL TO PAY I SAY!

Old August 6th 06, 10:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Roger Hamlett

"bucky" wrote in message
t...
Tasco bought Celestron.

Me thinks Tasco will use the Celestron name
to sell overpriced low quality scopes for a fast buck.

Is there evidence that is happening yet?

Tasco, went into liquidation.
When Tasco liquidated, the Celestron management, bought the company
themselves. They had problems though, because they were effectively
underfunded, especially given the Meade lawsuit. Now for many years, parts
of the Celestron range have been Synta, or Synta based (the CG5 mount for
example, is made by Synta, with the electronics added by Celestron, and
the smaller refractors are Synta made). Synta bought Celestron.
The evidence is of movement being 'bi-directional'. So you can now buy the
Synta HEQ5/EQ6, with the 'Skyscan' controller, while the new 6" Celestron
OTA, is basically Synta. The external money, appears to have allowed the
development on the electronics/hardware to continue, rather than to get
stuck through lack of cash.

Best Wishes

Old August 6th 06, 02:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Tasco bought Celestron.

Me thinks Tasco will use the Celestron name
to sell overpriced low quality scopes for a fast buck.

Is there evidence that is happening yet?

Hello Bunny:

Have you been sleepin' down in your rabbit hole? ;-)

Tasco went out of business...oh...'twas several years ago.

Celestron was then on their own for a while. When they (apparently) ran
into cash flow problems, they were bought by Synta. At this point, the
scopes (including the Synta made C6) appear to be as good as ever.

At this time, it appears Meade is the one you need to worry about.

And so it goes in the SCT game... ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of: _Choosing and Using an SCT_, and _The Urban Astronomers's
Guide_.
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland

Old August 6th 06, 02:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Roger Hamlett wrote:
..
The evidence is of movement being 'bi-directional'. So you can now buy the
Synta HEQ5/EQ6, with the 'Skyscan' controller, while the new 6" Celestron
OTA, is basically Synta. The external money, appears to have allowed the
development on the electronics/hardware to continue, rather than to get
stuck through lack of cash.

Hi Roger:

Let me add one caveat here. While the Synscan/Skyscan controllers look
a lot like the Nexstar HCs, they are quite different, and don't have
all the features of the latest Nexstar HCs.

You can't just plug a Nexstar controller into an EQ-6 or HEQ-5, either.
For one thing, both use stepper motors rather than the servos used in
the CG5 and CGE.

That said, the Skyscan HCs work well, and are being upgraded regularly.

Old August 6th 06, 03:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ko57

"Has Tasco ruined Celestron?"

I'd hope not. I just ordered a Firstscope 70mm f12.8 EQ, can't wait to
get it, and am going to get their 15x70 SkyMaster Binoculars, to be
done with astro shopping. I think Tasco is out of Australia, anyhow,
no evidence of Tasco tampering...

Kerry Eliz.
s.e. La

Old August 6th 06, 03:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Roger Hamlett

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Roger Hamlett wrote:
.
[...]

Yes, but I think the 'core' of the logic, seems to be from the Celestron
design, and therefore does reflect some 'bi-directionality' in the work at
the company.
The caveat is well worth making, so that people don't think the units are
exchangeable.

Best Wishes

Old August 7th 06, 01:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon

"Starlord" wrote in
:

Didn't you read the news last year? The people at celestron bough back
the company and tasco usa is no more, there's a tasco someplace overseas
but not here, Bushnell got all the tasco stock and stuff and has gone
from being in the dump to being in the cesspool.

Celestron is now owned by the Taiwanese company Synta.

Klazmon.