March 20th Jupiter Io, Ganymede and Europa Event movie

Old March 24th 04, 07:12 PM
Milton Aupperle

Default March 20th Jupiter Io, Ganymede and Europa Event movie

Hi Folks;

Here's a 3 hour clip of Io and Ganymede shadows racing across Jupiter
and the emergence of Europa from Jupiter's shadow taken Last Saturday.
They are both 400 kilobytes in size. They are not on my web page yet,
but I uploaded the movies (one in Apple's .mp4 format - the other as a
QT movie using the "On 2 VP3" compressor) to my web site and you can
access them directly using:

http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImag...20_2207MST.mov

http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImag...20_2207MST.mp4

I'll add AVI or maybe MPEG versions later on for people without QT
movie access or .mp4 playability.

The movies represents about 34,000 frames (38 gigabytes of ARGB32) of
video shot over a 2 hour and 59 minute period with the iREZ FW camera
at a constant rate of 3.75 fps. Each frame in the movie is 230 stacked
frames, processed in Keith's image stacker and then the resulting
composited frames are then added together in sequence to make a movie.
Then the composited movie was then run through Astro Yacker 0.70 to
align the frames (they bounce all over the place), scale it to 200% and
rotate Jupiter into horizontal.

Each frame in the movie represents 1 minute of real time, and at the
playback rate of 15 fps, your seeing 15 minutes of "real time" time go
by every second of playback time. I shot this with the MAK 127mm scope
at prime focus. The sky was really stable, but there was a thin cloud
layer/haze and I almost did not go out and take the movie. After about
1 hour of recording time, some clouds moved through and the moons
darken/ disappear. I compensated for this by increasing the exposure
and then when the clouds went away, I had to decrease the brightness a
bit, so you can see portions of Jupiter were overly bright when the
clouds thinned . Also I filled up the HD on my Laptop twice recording
the movie, so the breaks you see are where I had to run inside, unload
the Laptops video footage onto the G4 desktop and then run outside and
start capturing again.

Hope you enjoy the movies.

Milton Aupperle
www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html