ASTRO: M84-M86 et al

Old June 29th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M84-M86 et al

I took this one through clouds and a three quarter moon in April. I had
hoped to retake it but since then the weather has been even worse for
imaging so I spent the last few nights trying to get something out of
all the glows from the clouds and moon. It doesn't begin to go as deep
as I would have liked. Seeing though was good for me giving me some
incentive to push on. This is the result.

Other galaxies in the image are NGC 4387 in the center, NGC 4388 at the
bottom, the only spiral, and IC 3303 just right of the right edge of the
triangle formed by M86, M84 and NGC 4388.

Looking through NED I came up with something that is very odd and I'm
not sure if is correct. Below the center galaxy NGC 4387 are two faint
fuzzies large enough to see one (left one) is spiral like and the right
one round like an elliptical. Looking them up I found the left one is
actually a lenticular galaxy, SDSS J122555.70+124611.0 at mag 17.9. Its
redshift puts it well in the Virgo Cluster. But the one nearly directly
below NGC 4387 is PGC 40577 at magnitude 17.5. Being both bigger and
brighter of the two I figured it closer. But NED's redshift data puts
it at the amazing distance of 3.27 billion light years! YIKES! Can
that be right?!?! I just don't know. If it is that is one unbelievably
large galaxy. Of the others in the field I was able to look up about
half were in the cluster and half showed red shifts far beyond the cluster.

Note that M86 shows a blue shift and is the M object with the highest
blue shift so it is approaching us even more rapidly than M31. But the
gravitational field of the cluster is still considered sufficient to
prevent it from leaving the cluster. Dark Matter to our rescue? On the
other hand NGC 4388 is receding at a rate is twice what you'd expect
from a cluster member so it's zooming the other way almost as fast as
M86 is heading our way. But it to is a member of the cluster. IC 3303
also shows a blue shift though not as high as M86. There are members of
the cluster that do have blue shifts higher than M86, they just aren't M
objects.

14" LX200R @ f/10, 4x10' binned 2x2, RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M84-6L4X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	2000
Old June 30th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Beta Persei

Hey, that's Smiley!!

Nice shoot Rick.
Clear skies,
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N
08° 51' E

remove "_nospam" to reply
. com...

Old July 1st 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

lots going on there, nice job Rick

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3

Old July 3rd 08, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Hi Rick, What is that sprinkled around the galaxy on the right??? Are
those globulars or is that a faint galaxy cluster??
Nice image!

Joe

. com...

----

Old July 3rd 08, 07:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I wish I knew. Think it distant galaxies. Neither NED nor SIMBAD had
anything on any of them. M86 is supposed to be the one with globulars
though I don't see any. I'd hoped to pick up some but conditions
weren't good and it was rather low so I guess that's to be expected.
Then when those faint fuzzies showed in M84 I had hopes but apparently
not globulars. I looked through various galaxy cluster catalogs but
nothing turned up.

So it is still a mystery -- unfortunately.

Anyone know the answer?

Rick