B343 Dark nebula in Cygnus - LLRGB 4 hrs total exposure

Old June 21st 07, 01:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default B343 Dark nebula in Cygnus - LLRGB 4 hrs total exposure

Dear Group,

With Cygnus slowly getting into good position for imaging, there is a
wide variety of goodies it provides for the interested observer and imager.

Given the plethora of Barnard dark nebulae it offers, I thought I would
try my hand with one of the largest such objects just north of the
bright star Sadr.

More specifically, I pursued B343 which lies within a couple of degrees
just north of Sadr. For an image based on four hours total exposure, I
kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-Nebulae-Dark-B343.htm . This is my first
attempt at a dark nebula and I would welcome all feedback. I have
checked around and cannot find any reference images for comparison B343
.... if someone has pursued this particular object, I would love to see
your results.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Old June 21st 07, 01:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
George[_1_]

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
[...]

Nice. Here is one I found on google images:

http://www.masil-astro-imaging.com/FTP/B343-HARGB-2.jpg

I hope this helps.

George

Old June 21st 07, 03:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

George wrote:
[...]

Thanks George! It confirms my suspicion that the result needs some H-a
data to improve the luminance portion.

I hope this helps.

It certainly does and I thank you!

Anthony.

George

Old June 21st 07, 03:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Sam Wormley wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear Group,

With Cygnus slowly getting into good position for imaging, there is a
wide variety of goodies it provides for the interested observer and
imager.

Given the plethora of Barnard dark nebulae it offers, I thought I
would try my hand with one of the largest such objects just north of
the bright star Sadr.

More specifically, I pursued B343 which lies within a couple of
degrees just north of Sadr. For an image based on four hours total
exposure, I kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-Nebulae-Dark-B343.htm . This is my
first attempt at a dark nebula and I would welcome all feedback. I
have DWB41 & B343
checked around and cannot find any reference images for comparison
B343 .... if someone has pursued this particular object, I would love
to see your results.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

I found this interesting image of DWB41 & B343 with poorer resolution
than
your excellent image, Anthony.
http://www.andreasroerig.de/g2/dwb041.htm
http://www.andreasroerig.de/g2/dwb041.jpg

Thanks Sam! The fellow strictly used h-alpha which confirms my
suspicion about needing the same. In fact I have the same h-alpha filter
he used and which I will put into use (probably this evening).

To the rescue once again. :-)

Anthony.

Old June 21st 07, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
George[_1_]

Sam Wormley wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear Group,

With Cygnus slowly getting into good position for imaging, there is a
wide variety of goodies it provides for the interested observer and
imager.

Given the plethora of Barnard dark nebulae it offers, I thought I would
try my hand with one of the largest such objects just north of the
bright star Sadr.

More specifically, I pursued B343 which lies within a couple of degrees
just north of Sadr. For an image based on four hours total exposure, I
kindly direct you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-Nebulae-Dark-B343.htm . This is my
first attempt at a dark nebula and I would welcome all feedback. I have
DWB41 & B343
checked around and cannot find any reference images for comparison B343
.... if someone has pursued this particular object, I would love to see
your results.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

I found this interesting image of DWB41 & B343 with poorer resolution
than
your excellent image, Anthony.
http://www.andreasroerig.de/g2/dwb041.htm
http://www.andreasroerig.de/g2/dwb041.jpg

Thanks Sam! The fellow strictly used h-alpha which confirms my suspicion
about needing the same. In fact I have the same h-alpha filter he used
and which I will put into use (probably this evening).

To the rescue once again. :-)

Anthony.

I'd be interested in seeing your result when you are done.

George

Old June 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Clark

Hi Anthony

I'm not a fan of diffraction spikes, especially when they turn red

However, it is a very, very nice image with great subtle detail. I must
have looked at this area and overlooked this DN many times visually

Looking forward to more. I find that looking for DN brings out the detail
in the surrounding area alot more.

Regards
Paul

Old June 22nd 07, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Ben

On Jun 21, 11:36 am, "Paul Clark" wrote:
Hi Anthony

I'm not a fan of diffraction spikes, especially when they turn red

Hi Anthony,
I rather like diffraction spikes regardless of color.

However, it is a very, very nice image with great subtle detail. I must
have looked at this area and overlooked this DN many times visually

I have viewed it several times. It stands out right easily
against
IC 1318 in the background.

Looking forward to more. I find that looking for DN brings out the detail
in the surrounding area alot more.

6888 is only a couple of degrees South. Are you going to try it?
It's a splendid but difficult object. Anyway your capture of B 343 is
just ominous.

Ben

Old June 22nd 07, 12:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On Jun 21, 5:18 am, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:
[...]

Great looking image and those dark nebula take plenty of exposure time
too. The web address I provide here is of the Ha region with Sadr in
the lower right hand corner. This was a total of 90 minutes in Ha and
45 minutes total in RGB with a FSQ106n and ST-2000 camera at Palomar
Mountain last year. I plan to return this year with a ST10XME and re-
shot that area for more detail and a little large field of view.

http://www.vistaobservatory.com/imag...910LRGBweb.gif

Enjoy!
OPTwebman

Old June 22nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Ben wrote:

On Jun 21, 11:36 am, "Paul Clark" wrote:

Hi Anthony

I'm not a fan of diffraction spikes, especially when they turn red

Hi Anthony,

Hi Ben,

I rather like diffraction spikes regardless of color.

It is one of those things which you either like or dislike. There seems
to be little middle ground. I also do like them as well.

However, it is a very, very nice image with great subtle detail. I must
have looked at this area and overlooked this DN many times visually

I have viewed it several times. It stands out right easily
against
IC 1318 in the background.

Ditto here ...

Looking forward to more. I find that looking for DN brings out the detail
in the surrounding area alot more.

6888 is only a couple of degrees South. Are you going to try it?

In fact I took some test exposures about ten days ago in h-alpha ... WOW!

It's a splendid but difficult object. Anyway your capture of B 343 is
just ominous.

I expect a very nice result with the Crescent Nebula. I suspect I will
pursue it aggressively a few days after full moon (this lunation) since
it has been a "to-do" item for some time (similar to the Bubble Nebula
in Cas which will have to wait a bit) and I have a good idea of my
exposure times for both h-alpha and RGB.

Back at it again this evening for another Barnard dark nebula. :-)

Anthony.

Ben

B343 Dark nebula in Cygnus - LLRGB 4 hrs total exposure Anthony Ayiomamitis Amateur Astronomy 15 July 2nd 07 05:16 PM
Cygnus CarboHolic Amateur Astronomy 17 September 9th 04 02:52 PM
Long exposure vs. multiple exposure Steve Maddison Amateur Astronomy 1 August 19th 04 02:13 AM
Could someone suggest exposure settings for fairly dark sky Aurora before tonight. Thanks [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 10 October 31st 03 03:25 PM
M27: ten hours total exposure Richard Crisp CCD Imaging 3 September 23rd 03 05:44 AM