SCRUB!

Old September 6th 06, 09:14 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jacques van Oene

Default SCRUB!

0802 GMT (4:02 a.m. EDT)

SCRUB! Today's launch attempt has been stopped by the fuel cell problem.
Another try could come as early as Thursday, with a target liftoff time of
12:03 p.m. EDT.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttl...15/status.html

--
--------------

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.nl

Old September 6th 06, 11:14 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Jacques van Oene wrote:
0802 GMT (4:02 a.m. EDT)

SCRUB! Today's launch attempt has been stopped by the fuel cell
problem. Another try could come as early as Thursday, with a target
liftoff time of 12:03 p.m. EDT.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttl...15/status.html

Email:

What is this for?

begin 666 greypixel.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___YF9F2'_"T%$3T)%.DE2,2XP`M[M`"'Y! ``````
0+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P``
`

Brian

Old September 6th 06, 02:10 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Rusty

Brian Gaff wrote:
Jacques van Oene wrote:
0802 GMT (4:02 a.m. EDT)

What is this for?

begin 666 greypixel.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___YF9F2'_"T%$3T)%.DE2,2XP`M[M`"'Y! ``````
0+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P``
`

NASA cursing because of another Shuttle launch delay?

;-)

Rusty

Old September 6th 06, 04:56 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_1_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:YYALg.14549$r61.13576
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

OK, so a fan is bust?

How do these things happen, I wonder.

On any complex system, Murphy's Law is especially applicable.
Even more so for a very tight schedule.

--Damon

Old September 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Well, a spike could mean lots of things. Debris in the coolant, a dodgy
drive or bearing, cavitations implying a leak,. I suppose the cells are
under the cargo in the payload bay, which would mean a lot of work to get to
them.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...

Old September 6th 06, 09:44 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Damon Hill wrote:
On any complex system, Murphy's Law is especially applicable.
Even more so for a very tight schedule.

I don't buy the "very tight schedule" argument. Atlantis has been
sitting in the OPF for years getting looked at closely by the
maintenance technicians. They've had plenty of time to get things fixed
up, checked, tested.

The scrubs due to glitches on the pad at last minute are not "common"
but not uncommon either. Makes me wonder if the testing done in the OPF
is really thorough or not.

Could they stage a "countdown" in the OPF all the way down to engine
ignition (but stopping short of it, of course) to test all of the
orbiter's systems , including having the payload bay doors closed so
that any escaping gas from a poor seal would be detected by the gas
detectors ?

Or are there too many systems that can only be turned on once and
require maintenance once they've been activated before they can be
activated again ?
Old September 6th 06, 09:45 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
robert casey

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, a spike could mean lots of things. Debris in the coolant, a dodgy
drive or bearing, cavitations implying a leak,. I suppose the cells are
under the cargo in the payload bay, which would mean a lot of work to get to
them.

There was another space mission that had a defective oxygen tank, and
they knew it wasn't up to spec but they decided to fly with it anyway.
Bad move, that was Apollo 13. Only good thing was that it decided to
blow just before they were going to use the LM to land on the Moon, not
afterwards. Of course if it never blew...

My point is that you don't want to launch a space mission if you know of
a defect in your spacecraft.
Old September 7th 06, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

OK, so a fan is bust?

How do these things happen, I wonder.

On any complex system, Murphy's Law is especially applicable.
Even more so for a very tight schedule.

--Damon

--
Danny Dot wrote:

Well said!!!!!

Look at my site and see how NASA treats a creative mind!!!
The summary is "Not Very Well" :-)
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old September 8th 06, 01:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
robert casey

I don't buy the "very tight schedule" argument. Atlantis has been
sitting in the OPF for years getting looked at closely by the
maintenance technicians. They've had plenty of time to get things fixed
up, checked, tested.

The scrubs due to glitches on the pad at last minute are not "common"
but not uncommon either. Makes me wonder if the testing done in the OPF
is really thorough or not.

Maybe it got damaged by that lightning strike a couple weeks ago? I
kinda doubt it, being buried deep inside.