NASA culture???

Old July 30th 06, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Danny Dot[_1_]

Default NASA culture???

I have a theory on the problem with NASA culture that makes engineers fear
to speak up. I think it may be a think called mobbing. Basically, if
anyone speaks against management, management without being told in detail
gangs up on the individual and drives them out of the work force.

Look at www.mobbing-usa.com and/or Google "workplace mobbing"

Danny Deger

Old July 30th 06, 06:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:26:16 +0000, Danny Dot wrote:

I have a theory on the problem with NASA culture that makes engineers fear
to speak up. I think it may be a think called mobbing. Basically, if
anyone speaks against management, management without being told in detail
gangs up on the individual and drives them out of the work force.

Look at www.mobbing-usa.com and/or Google "workplace mobbing"

lol, believe it or not, this kind of thing may even occur on Usenet. To
drive anyone who doesn't agree with the mobs concept of the world off
a particular group. Kind of sadistic.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 30th 06, 10:20 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

But is this not how culture itself works to establish norms?I think us
eccentrics are just immune to it to some extent, or we are tolerated as we
add humour...:-)

No, I think what large organisations fall into is complacency, as they think
the routines and procedures ensure things will be fine. I came across it in
the UK Defence industry, where the, we have always done it this way without
any problems is backed up by paperwork of huge proportions!

Then they find the radar guidance does not work due to some long standing
design problem pushed over the edge by a tiny agreed change somewhere else.

People would rather believe bits of paper than people's experience.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
news

Old July 31st 06, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Shamaal

"Danny Dot" wrote in
:

I have a theory on the problem with NASA culture that makes engineers
fear to speak up. I think it may be a think called mobbing.
Basically, if anyone speaks against management, management without
being told in detail gangs up on the individual and drives them out of
the work force.

Look at www.mobbing-usa.com and/or Google "workplace mobbing"

Danny Deger

As you would expect with a large workforce of educated individuals, there
are a large number of dynamics in play. As we have seen from the shuttle
disasters, the engineers have no trouble speaking up; being heard however
is a little different.
For the sake of this discussion we'll assume that the term 'driving out
of the workforce' would include marginalization and being put on other
projects within NASA.
There is a team dynamic that occurs that doesn't necessarily stifle the
invidual's dissent, but is considered a success of the dissenter is given
an opportunity to make his/her case and an opportunity to acquiesce to
the decision made. To an EVA engineer everything can be solved by an
outside crewman, to a robotics engineer the solution involves the SSRM.
Engineering management must take all these factors and apply operational
experience. In the years I worked as a LOE contractor for NASA, I have
participated in this process on many occasions.
Occasionally an engineer/manager will be asked if they are willing to
"fall on one's sword". Sort of a catch phrase to gauge the seriousness of
the concern. The engineer/manager has taken a stand and is willing to
buck the prevailing wisdom to make their point. As you can imagine, these
situations are career breakers.
Does "workplace mobbing" occur; certainly. And at the division, project,
center and headquarters level. NASA is no different than any other
bureaucratic organization; if anything there is more rule by consensus
than by fiat.

Just my opinion
Old July 31st 06, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Danny Dot[_1_]

If you want to see what happened to me look at www.mobbinggonemad.org

--
Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org
"Shamaal" wrote in message
"Danny Dot" wrote in
:

Old August 1st 06, 03:06 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
cosmicPeach

If you want to see what happened to me look at www.mobbinggonemad.org

Government and Management is a OxyMoron
Old August 1st 06, 02:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

If you want to see what happened to me look at www.mobbinggonemad.org

More than just you, I know of at least one other case. I think it's a lot
more common than most people would think, and happens in many different
settings. Usenet, Jury Rooms, NASA, ...

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old August 5th 06, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

I reckon it is more to do with some business managers who think they
know best rather than the scientists.
Mabon Dane

Astronauts should speak up [email protected] Space Shuttle 94 August 4th 06 10:56 PM
Early NASA PDFs Rusty History 48 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
Unofficial Space Shuttle Launch Guide Steven S. Pietrobon Space Shuttle 0 October 3rd 05 05:36 AM
NASA PDF - X-15 Rocket Plane documents Rusty History 1 August 7th 05 06:47 PM